Pandemonium as media mob ransacks shooters’ home on live TV without FBI permission

Several news organizations toured the apartment shared by the San Bernardino shooters — even though the residence may still be an active crime scene under investigation.
*This story has been updated. See below.
The couple’s landlord said reporters and photographers from BBC, CNN, MSNBC and NBC rushed into the apartment Friday when he pried open the front door — and they live-tweeted and broadcast their findings on television.
Video of landlord telling CBS he didn’t let cameras into the apartment. “They rushed.” Start at 12:30: https://t.co/bmLnGsESBs
— Andrew Katz (@katz) December 4, 2015
We’re inside the Redlands home where the #SanBernardino suspects lived. pic.twitter.com/mBO3OaHejB — Kate Mather (@katemather) December 4, 2015
Screenshots from MSNBC. I added the redout pic.twitter.com/Ttu3zJ0Fjj
— Stephen Miller (@redsteeze) December 4, 2015
MSNBC just doxed Rafia Farook, mother of a terrorist, on live television. I’ve blurred the important bits. pic.twitter.com/VqPwT60yVY — David Boles (@DavidBoles) December 4, 2015
Investigators said they did not authorize the tours, which could have contaminated the crime scene if it has not been cleared.
SB Sheriff’s deputy: “[Feds] told us it’s still an active investigation…I don’t know why there’s people in there.” https://t.co/4BLzZ2MAp6
— Joe Serna, LAT (@JosephSerna) December 4, 2015
It’s true. Am sat next to him. CNN’s Harry Houck’s hands are shaking watching a crime scene contamination on live television. — Michael Weiss (@michaeldweiss) December 4, 2015
The media are swarming every inch of the tiny #Redlands home. #SBShooting pic.twitter.com/J2MXML1EJt
— Beau Yarbrough (@LBY3) December 4, 2015
Bizarre feeling going through suspects’ house. List of seized materials: box after box of ammo pic.twitter.com/yivYsjRRoL — Kim Brunhuber (@kimbrunhuber) December 4, 2015
However, reporters say federal investigators had already cleared out evidence related to the investigation but left behind the couple’s personal items.
As @mitchellreports said on @MSNBC: the apt owner permitted the press tour, the FBI has already cleared out useful evidence
— Erika Masonhall (@ErikaMasonhall) December 4, 2015
“Our search is over. We released the scene yesterday.” — Spokesperson for FBI LA, to me, moments ago. Take it for what it’s worth. — Greg Sargent (@ThePlumLineGS) December 4, 2015
Random members of the public also apparently may have entered the home.
SB Sheriff’s deputy: “[Feds] told us it’s still an active investigation…I don’t know why there’s people in there.” https://t.co/4BLzZ2MAp6
— Joe Serna, LAT (@JosephSerna) December 4, 2015
Asked FBI Los Angeles if suspects’ apartment now open to the media/public: “I don’t believe so…it is still an ongoing investigation.” — Brian Ries (@moneyries) December 4, 2015
Viewers and social media users — and even some media colleagues — were almost uniformly critical of the networks’ decision to enter the apartment without apparently clearing the move with investigators.
#SanBernadinoShooting apartment now being ransacked by journalists. So bizarre. Watch @cnn @AC360 to see if cops kick them out. Crazy!
— Drew Griffin CNN (@DrewGriffinCNN) December 4, 2015
Anderson Cooper almost desperate to get analysts to confirm that it’s OK for them to be rifling through this apartment, get CNN off the hook — Chris Krewson (@ckrewson) December 4, 2015
CNN journo on scene says no longer just reporters: “There’s a woman with a dog walking into the house…”
— David Folkenflik (@davidfolkenflik) December 4, 2015
*UPDATE: MSNBC has issued an apology for showing footage of unedited identification while filming live inside the Redlands home. The network said the landlord allowed reporters inside.
““We regret that we briefly showed images of photographs and identification cards that should not have been aired without review,” the statement read, according to The Hill.
Watch portions of the tour broadcast by MSNBC and posted online by Washington Free Beacon:





























