“Talk of an exit strategy is exactly the wrong way to go,” Senator Jon Kyl (R-AZ) told Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday. The Senate’s second-most powerful Republican wants President Barack Obama to defer to the generals’ wishes in Afghanistan without announcing a strategy to end the war.
On Tuesday December 1, Obama will deliver a major Afghanistan speech at West Point, nine days before picking up his Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, Norway.
“As I understand it we’re going to go with 30 to 35 thousand American troops,” Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN) said on the program. “We’re going to try and make up the difference with NATO. They’re probably not as good and effective as American troops but I think its good that we have some burden-sharing. After all, the American taxpayers shouldn’t have to pay for this whole thing if our allies are wiling to step up and do their part.”
British PM Gordon Brown said Saturday that countries backing Afghanistan’s government are going to demand that it meet specific security benchmarks, outlining a plan to let foreign troops gradually hand control to local forces. Brown is expected to announce plans to send 500 more British troops next week.
The U.S. has approximately 68,000 troops in Afghanistan. NATO members have approximately 55,000 troops there. According to reporter Jeremy Scahill there are even more U.S. contractors (armed and unarmed combined) in Afghanistan than U.S. troops.
According to the Washington Post, as many as 9,000 U.S. Marines will move into the country next as part of Obama’s escalation of the eight-year-old war. They will double the size of the U.S. force in the southern province of Helmand and will provide a critical test for disputed Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s struggling government and fraying Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal’s counterinsurgency strategy.
Bayh and Kyl stuck to the talking points for the most part on Sunday morning, but Kyl brought up Vietnam and Bayh mentioned the cost of the war, suggesting there will be criticism from all sides immediately following Obama’s speech. Just one day earlier, Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) told Fox News, “This war is undermining our nation.”
“35,000 new troops? That’s going to cost $35 billion more a year,” he said. “Where are we going to find that money? Who’s going to finance this? You’re going to tell the taxpayers we’re going to borrow more money from China so we can fight a war in Afghanistan? Come on!”
Obama’s speech is expected to put his alliance with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to the test as well. House members may introduce a Resolution of Disapproval to counter Obama’s plan. Pelosi and the President met privately last week as Obama concluded his deliberations on Afghanistan, according to The Hill.
This video is from Fox’s Fox News Sunday, broadcast Nov. 29, 2009.
‘Unhinged’ Meghan McCain hurls obscenities at The View’s executive producer in front of audience: report
Meghan McCain's job is safe on "The View" -- although producers and her co-hosts are growing increasingly tired of her antics.
Sources told the Daily Mail that McCain blew up at the show's producers in front of the studio audience after moderator Whoopi Goldberg had to restart a segment Tuesday after she confused a law professor with a Justice Department official.
How Donald Trump and his favorite morning show ‘Fox & Friends’ reviewed the first Democratic debate
The reviews from the right are in: President Donald Trump took shots at the left-leaning cable network MSNBC after technical difficulties brought the first Democratic presidential debate to a standstill. Meanwhile, the co-hosts of "Fox & Friends" found themselves "scratching their heads" over the decision of three of the candidates on stage who answered multiple questions in Spanish.
Midway through the evening, when audio issues required moderators Chuck Todd and Rachel Maddow to call an early commercial break, Trump added, "@NBCNews and @MSNBC should be ashamed of themselves for having such a horrible technical breakdown in the middle of the debate. Truly unprofessional and only worthy of a FAKE NEWS Organization, which they are!"
Charles Blow drops the hammer on ‘sexual predator’ Trump in brutally blunt NYT column
In a harsh and uncompromising column for the New York Times, political commentator Charles Blow expressed nothing but disgust about the latest sexual assault allegations levied against Donald Trump and despaired that Americans have become so numb to accusations against the president that he is not sure anything can stop him from being re-elected.
Beginning, " I am simply disgusted by what’s happening in America," Blow immediately added, "My political differences with this president and his accomplices in Congress — and now on the Supreme Court — are only part of the reason. Indeed, those differences may not be the lesser reason, and that, for me, says a lot."