Quantcast
Connect with us

Dean, Lieberman point to Obama for death of public option

Published

on

WASHINGTON — A consistent narrative is emerging from various sides of the health care debate: the White House is largely responsible for the removal of the popular public option from the reform legislation.

Two key players in the debate — Howard Dean and Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) — have essentially agreed with Sen. Russ Feingold’s (D-WI) declaration on Sunday that “the lack of support from the administration made keeping the public option in the bill an uphill struggle.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In an MSNBC appearance Monday, Dean reversed his opposition to the Senate bill from last week, but didn’t equivocate when asked by host Norah O’Donnell whether “the White House is in part to blame for the death of the public option.”

“Yes,” Dean said, without hesitating.

Dean added that he’s unsatisfied with the Senate bill in its current form but will support its passage in the hope that it can be improved in conference committee.

Lieberman, whose refusal to support the public option was a prime cause of its removal, told the Huffington Post’s Ryan Grim on Monday that the White House never pressured him to get behind it.

“I’d have to think about this, but I didn’t really have direct input from the White House on this,” Lieberman said, referring to the public option and Medicare buy-in compromise.

ADVERTISEMENT

“When [Obama] came to the caucus he said, ‘Just try to work this out as you get to the end here.’ And I said, ‘OK,'” Lieberman added. “Most of the negotiation I had on that was with Senator Reid.”

President Obama has championed the public option on numerous occasions, but a number of progressives are now criticizing him for not putting enough pressure on Senators to back the provision in closed-door negotiations.

The Senate bill, which didn’t include a public option or a supplemental Medicare buy-in, bypassed an attempted Republican filibuster early Monday morning as it achieved the 60 votes necessary to advance.

ADVERTISEMENT

This video is from MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell Reports, broadcast Dec. 21, 2009.

ADVERTISEMENT

Download video via RawReplay.com

–Video captured and uploaded by David Edwards


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Buffalo officers who shoved elderly man to the ground arrested: report

Published

on

On Saturday, ABC News reported that the two police officers who pushed an elderly man to the ground have been arrested.

"Two Buffalo, New York, police officers are now facing criminal charges in connection with the graphic caught-on-video shove of a 75-year-old man during a protest, a law enforcement source told ABC News."

"The Thursday protest at Niagara Square had less than 20 demonstrators and several members of Buffalo Police Department's Emergency Response Team, officials said," according to the report. "Both officers were suspended and the Erie County District Attorney John Flynn launched an investigation."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Buffalo cops dispute mass resignation was in solidarity with suspended officers who shoved elderly man: report

Published

on

In an exclusive report with WKBW, two police officers who were part the Buffalo Police Department’s Emergency Response Team disputed reports that all of the officers resigned in support of two of the colleagues who were suspended and may face criminal charges for shoving a peaceful 75-year-old protester to the ground where he was severely injured.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

GOP scrambling to find delegates willing to attend Trump’s convention after he bailed on North Carolina: report

Published

on

On Saturday, The New York Times reported that Republicans are struggling to find delegates to attend the GOP convention.

"Adding to the uncertainty surrounding the convention is the trepidation delegates are feeling about attending a crowded gathering," reported Annie Karni and Maggie Haberman. "Already, states like Indiana are having difficulty filling both their delegate and alternate spots. Many convention delegates are over 60 and therefore more vulnerable to the virus."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image