JERUSALEM — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Saturday condemned the desecration of a mosque in a village in the occupied West Bank by suspected Jewish settlers.
In a statement, he “vigorously denounced the aggression against the mosque” and said he had “told the security forces to act with determination to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice.”
Attackers vandalised the mosque in Yasuf in the northern West Bank overnight on Thursday and Friday, spraying hate messages in Hebrew and burning holy books in an attack blamed on hardliners angered by plans to curb settlement building.
Clashes later erupted as villagers hurled stones at Israeli troops sent to investigate the incident.
Security forces used teargas to disperse hundreds of furious villagers who tried to march on the nearby settlement of Tappuah after Palestinians blamed settlers there for the attack.
On Saturday Israeli President Shimon Peres also condemned the mosque attack, calling it “an incendiary criminal act against all the moral principles of the state of Israel.”
“The government, security forces and all authorities must spare no effort to catch the guilty parties,” he said in a statement.
On Friday Defence Minister Ehud Barak denounced the attack as “an extreme act meant to harm the government’s attempts to advance the process for Israel’s future.”
Settlers have expressed outrage over the government’s decision to impose a 10-month moratorium on new building permits for Israeli homes in the West Bank, outside annexed Arab east Jerusalem.
The settlement issue has been one of the thorniest in Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts, which have been stalled for the past year.
The Palestinians reject the moratorium as insufficient and insist they will not return to the negotiating table unless there is a complete settlement freeze in the West Bank, including east Jerusalem which they see as the capital of their promised state.
‘It’s Hafiz Saeed. Not Jason Bourne’: Trump mocked for tweet on arrest of Mumbai attacks suspect
Pakistanis Thursday mocked US President Donald Trump's claim that the alleged Mumbai attacks mastermind had been arrested "after a ten-year search" while he was actually in the public eye for much of the decade.
Hafiz Saeed, a firebrand cleric accused by Washington and New Delhi of being behind the 2008 attacks, was taken into custody on Wednesday, days ahead of a trip by Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan to Washington for his first meeting with Trump.
"After a ten-year search, the so-called 'mastermind' of the Mumbai Terror attacks has been arrested in Pakistan. Great pressure has been exerted over the last two years to find him!" Trump tweeted Wednesday.
Jeffrey Epstein spent almost all of his time abusing underage girls: ‘It was his full-time job,’ says victim’s lawyer
Jeffrey Epstein apparently did nothing but sexually abuse underage girls, according to one victim's attorney.
The sources of the financier's wealth are murky, as he had only one known client -- women's clothing magnate Les Wexner -- but attorney Brad Edwards said that seems to have freed Epstein up to engage in nonstop predatory conduct, reported Vanity Fair.
“It was his full-time job,” said attorney Brad Edwards. “We have not found anyone who has provided information about a legitimate business he was engaged [in].”
‘You had the Nobel Prize?’ Trump learns of Yazidi activist Murad
US President Donald Trump on Wednesday appeared unfamiliar with the work and cause of Nobel laureate Nadia Murad as she pleaded with him to help the Yazidis of Iraq.
Murad, one of thousands of women and girls from the ancient faith abducted by the Islamic State group as they overran swathes of Iraq in 2014, joined a group of survivors of religious persecution who met Trump in the Oval Office on the sidelines of a major meeting at the State Department.
After Murad explained how her mother and six brothers were killed and that 3,000 Yazidis remained missing, Trump said, "And you had the Nobel Prize? That's incredible. They gave it to you for what reason?"