Quantcast
Connect with us

Glenn Beck’s Fox News show ending ‘later this year’

Published

on

Conservative conspiracy host Glenn Beck announced plans Wednesday to “transition off” his Fox News program in favor of a realigned agreement between Fox and his production company, Mercury Radio Arts.

The deal will see Beck’s company designing unspecified new media for the Fox News Channel and other Fox online properties, a news release said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The release was not specific as to when he would be off the air, saying only that it would happen “later this year.”

Moments after the announcement, Beck’s website The Blaze, which hosted the release, went offline.

Beck was rumored to be interested in creating a cable channel of his own and growing his online subscription service. Further details were scarce at time of publication.

Beck’s viewership had been declining in recent months, even as his stable of regular corporate sponsors shrank due to a particularly effective campaign by a group of progressives upset at his pointedly racial barbs against President Obama.

ADVERTISEMENT

New York Times writer David Carr had the story exactly one month ago, reporting that Fox News was looking to get rid of Beck partially because his audience had declined over one-third in just a year’s time. In his heyday at Fox, however, Beck was far and away the most popular conservative pundit they featured.

Latching onto the story in a segment earlier this week, Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert warned his audience to brace for the “Glennpocalypse” and cautioned that if Beck left the air it wouldn’t be due to ethical issues.

“I don’t believe for a minute that Fox News execs thinks Glenn undermines their credibility,” he joked. “Just look at these anchors: I can’t imagine anyone lowering their credibility.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Beck was perhaps best known for his far-reaching conspiracy theories about a secret communist plot to overthrow America by giving to charity and engaging in community politics. He usually claimed liberal and progressive groups were the primary orchestrator of communist (or socialist) schemes, and he often compared them to Nazis or other thugs, frequently citing these different and often competing ideologies fluidly, as if they were the same or similar.

According to liberal watchdog group Media Matters, over 300 advertisers left Beck’s Fox News program from 2009 through today. In the last year he appeared to be increasingly reliant on promoting survivalist supplies and gold at inflated prices.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Michael Moore predicts Mick Mulvaney will get into Heaven after confessing Trump’s quid pro quo

Published

on

Academy Award-winning filmmaker Michael Moore predicted acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney will ascend to Heaven in the afterlife during a Friday interview on MSNBC's "The Beat" with Ari Melber.

The host played a clip of Mulvaney admitting Trump's quid pro quo while seeking foreign election assistance from Ukraine.

"This man obviously is going to be admitted into Heaven," Moore said. "You know, he told the truth."

"If there was a movie version of this, somebody stuck him with a needle just before he walked out onto the stage there, a truth serum needle, and he just went on and on saying, 'Yeah, that’s what we do. Yeah, of course.' Essentially admitting there is a quid pro quo. In fact, there are many quid pro quos."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump campaign has 12-person ‘War Room’ toiling to fight the impeachment inquiry: report

Published

on

While the White House has bragged about refusing to start a "war room" to deal with the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump's administration, his campaign is footing the bill for a 12-person operation, the LA Times reported Friday.

“Some of you have criticized us for not having a war room — OK? — which we don’t by the way,” acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney told reporters.

“You don’t have a war room when you haven’t done anything wrong," he added.

By that logic, Trump's 2020 re-election campaign may fear the president did something wrong.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘I don’t think he knows what he’s doing’: Ex-Trump advisor rips the ‘cascading crisis’ of his ‘strategic disaster’

Published

on

President Donald Trump received harsh criticism from a former top Middle East advisor for the ethnic cleansing campaign Turkey is waging against the Kurds in Syria.

MSNBC's Chuck Todd interviewed Brett McGurk, the former special presidential envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL.

"The truth of the matter is when President Trump announced to the world last December that we were leaving Syria and he arbitrarily cut our force reportedly in half, which is already a small force, we lost all of our leverage and influence," McGurk argued. "And he really threw it out the window on this call on October 6th."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image