Quantcast
Connect with us

Black Congresswoman threatened after Beck website posts edited video

Published

on

This article was paid for by Raw Story subscribers. Not a subscriber? Try us and go ad-free for $1. Prefer to give a one-time tip? Click here.

An African-American Congresswoman from New York was forced to call the police on Thursday after she says an edited video posted on Glenn Beck’s website incited threats of violence against her.

Judith Kargbo, a spokeswoman for Rep. Yvette Clarke (D-NY), confirmed to Raw Story that the Congresswoman’s office had asked Capital Police to investigate calls threatening the lawmaker.

ADVERTISEMENT

“On April 19th, the congresswoman went within the district to speak to Prospect Heights Democrats for Reform,” Kargbo explained. “There she was giving an overview of her agenda in Congress and pretty much using the example of the tea party to show how important mobilization is and organization is.”

“That clip that was originally on the Prospect Heights Democrats for Reform site was edited and was posted up on TheBlaze.com, and that of course is Glenn Beck’s website,” she continued. “That was edited down and what people were taking away from it was that the congresswoman was saying that all tea party members are crazy and all tea party individuals show the ugly side of the United States.”

Kargbo said there were a “range of calls” after the video was posted. While some were very respectful, one was “threatening in nature.”

“Something to the effect — I don’t have the exact words — of, ‘She thinks we’re crazy, that b-word has not seen nothing yet,'” she recalled.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Things like that we have to take seriously,” Kargbo explained, noting that the Congresswoman’s office is located next to the office where former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) worked before being shot in 2011.

In a statement on Thursday, Clarke pointed out that the threats “demonstrate the volatile political environment of 2012.”

“Know that I find it extremely disappointing that my words were edited and removed from context,” she added. “I stand by my statement and I will not be intimidated by those who use fear to make their point known.”

ADVERTISEMENT

During her remarks to Prospect Heights Democrats for Reform the congresswoman had pointed to an incident where members of the tea party allegedly hurled racial epithets at two African-American congressmen, Rep. Andre Carson (D-IN) and Rep. John Lewis (D-GA). Clarke said she had dismissed many members of the tea party as “crazy” before they successfully elected 39 members to the House of Representatives.

The video posted on Beck’s website had first been edited and published by Andrew Breitbart’s Breitbart.com.

Former Agriculture Department employee Shirley Sherrod sued Breitbart last year after another one of his websites published a selectively edited clip that led to her firing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Part 1, part 2 and part 3 of Clarke’s unedited remarks can be viewed on YouTube.

Watch the unedited video from Prospect Heights Democrats for Reform.

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch the deceptively edited version of Clarke’s remarks from Breitbart.com.

ADVERTISEMENT

(h/t: Capital New York)

This article was paid for by Raw Story subscribers. Not a subscriber? Try us and go ad-free for $1. Prefer to give a one-time tip? Click here.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Expect exodus of high-ranking Trump officials because they ‘no longer have anything to gain’ by staying: columnist

Published

on

Writing for the conservative Bulwark, columnist and author Robert Tracinski said Donald Trump's Syria debacle is likely the turning point for even the most hardened of his most avid defenders in the White House who will likely start leaving.

As Tracinski began, "Donald Trump’s betrayal of the Kurds is a moment that might be more important than it seems—one that is likely to have a far-reaching impact that goes well beyond what happens in Syria."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Hosting the G-7 at Doral is still worth a million dollars to Trump — even if he donates all the profits: reporter

Published

on

President Donald Trump's chief of staff Mick Mulvaney said that holding the G7 summit at Trump's Doral resort would not be a profit for the president. Reports about it fly in the face of the White House claims, however.

The Miami Herald reported in July, when Trump floated the idea, that Doral is in a financial rut and the G7 meeting could help Trump climb out of it.

"Hosting foreign dignitaries has been a financial boon for Trump’s private Palm Beach Mar-a-Lago Club, providing some insight into what financial gains might be expected from hosting the G7 Summit at Trump Doral," said The Herald.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘Absolute contempt for the American people’: Trump destroyed for shameless G7 golf club announcement

Published

on

White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney on Thursday announced that next year's G7 summit will be held at Trump National Doral Miami -- and then smugly brushed aside questions about President Donald Trump using his office to personally enrich himself.

Mulvaney's press conference, in which he insisted that the president will not personally profit from holding the meeting there and claimed that it was simply the "best" place to hold the summit, drew harsh and angry reviews from across the web -- check out some of the reactions below.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image