Quantcast
Connect with us

George Zimmerman wants a new judge

Published

on

MIAMI — A Florida neighborhood watch volunteer who shot an unarmed black teen to death on Friday requested that a new judge preside over his murder trial, accusing the current judge of bias against him.

The State Attorney’s Office quickly objected to the motion filed by attorneys for George Zimmerman, and said it would file a formal response early next week.

The 28-year-old has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, claiming that he acted in self-defense when he shot dead Trayvon Martin, 17, during a confrontation in the Florida town of Sanford in February.

Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester revoked Zimmerman’s initial $150,000 bail after the defendant and his wife Shellie were accused of lying about funds they had raised through a website and set a higher bail at $1 million.

Zimmerman posted bail and is currently living in a safe house in Florida.

“The court has created a reasonable fear in Mr Zimmerman that this court is biased against him and because of this prejudice, he cannot receive a fair and impartial trial or hearing by this court,” Zimmerman’s attorney Mark O’Mara wrote in his motion to disqualify the judge.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The court makes gratuitous, disparaging remarks about Mr Zimmerman’s character; advocates for Mr Zimmerman to be prosecuted for additional crimes; offers a personal opinion about the evidence for said prosecution and continues to hold over Mr Zimmerman’s head the threat of future contempt proceedings.”

On its website, Zimmerman’s legal team said it had filed the motion “after lengthy discussions among the defense team and with George.”

The motion marked the second time Zimmerman has asked for a new judge in the racially charged case that has sparked nationwide protests.

His lawyers had asked for Judge Jessica Recksiedler, who was initially assigned to the case, to be disqualified, citing a potential conflict of interest with her. The request was granted and the case was turned over to Lester.

ADVERTISEMENT

O’Mara said Zimmerman “fears that the court has already decided that he is not worthy of belief regardless of the type of proceeding or the corroborating evidence that would support his testimony.”

Zimmerman told police he had been tracking Martin, whom he had viewed as suspicious, and shot and killed the teenager after being assaulted by him.

Witnesses reported seeing a scuffle but it is not clear who threw the first punch or what ensued.

The case caused nationwide consternation, mainly over authorities’ initial reluctance to press charges against Zimmerman, who insists that he acted within his rights in self-defense under Florida’s controversial Stand Your Ground law.

Photo via AFP

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

CNN

CNN analyst demolishes White House’s latest attempt to stonewall Congress: ‘There is no provision for this immunity’

Published

on

Ahead of former White House Communications Director Hope Hicks being called to Congress to testify about former special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation — during which she was, by all accounts, less than helpful — the Trump administration took the unprecedented step of advising Congress that Hicks was given "immunity" from talking to them by the president.

On CNN's "The Situation Room," national security analyst Shawn Turner demolished this legal strategy.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

John Bolton just got put in his place: report

Published

on

National Security Adviser John Bolton has wanted a war with Iran since long before many Americans were even born. But according to The Daily Beast, he might be losing the internal battle to go to war.

After the Pentagon announced that they had "evidence" that Iran attacked an oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman, political analysts began to speculate it would be used as a justification for war with Iran. But apparently, Trump realized the Middle East saber-rattling doesn't play well in Middle America.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Illinois cops arrest man for being hospitalized while black

Published

on

On Monday, Freeport, Illinois resident Shaquille Dukes was arrested outside of FHN Memorial Hospital with an IV attached to his arm.

The reason? A security guard accused him of "trying to leave the hospital to sell the IV equipment on eBay."

Dukes, who is African-American, has filed a racial profiling complaint with the city, insisting that this would never have happened to a white hospital patient. "I'm not just going to sit here and be complacent about what I know is an illegality," he told the Journal Standard.

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

Investigating Trump's henchmen is a full time job, and I'm trying to bring in new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have more stories coming you'll love. Join me and help restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link

Investigating Trump is a full-time job, and I want to add new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have stories coming you'll love. Join me and go ad-free, while restoring the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link