Quantcast
Connect with us

Italian court rules cell phones can cause brain tumors

Published

on

The Italian Supreme Court has ruled that cell phone use can be linked to cancer, a decision that has opened a door for future litigation, even as medical experts disputed the verdict.

According to Russia Today, the high court ruled that Innocente Marcolini was correct in blaming his heavy cell phone use — six hours every day for 12 years, Marcolini said — for him developing a brain tumor that, though benign, left the left side of his face paralyzed.

ADVERTISEMENT

The tumor formed on the trigeminal nerve, near where he would hold his mobile phone. Marcolini’s argument said that the phone’s electromagnetic radiation caused cell damage, increasing the likelihood of tumors. In this particular case, he said, the growth could have spread to his carotid artery and blocked one of the primary blood vessels to his brain.

“This is significant for very many people,” he told the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera. “I wanted this problem to become public because many people still do not know the risks.”

Oncologist Angelo Gino Levis, who testified for the prosecution during the case after conducting several case studies he said bore out to the link between mobile phones and brain tumors, suggested this case could be just the beginning.

“It’ll open, not a road, but a motorway to legal actions by victims,” Levis said. “We’re considering a class action.”

However, according to Reuters, the medical jury is still out on cases like Marcolini’s.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Great caution is needed before we jump to conclusions about mobile phones and brain tumors,” said Malcolm Sperrin, who heads the medical physics and clinical engineering at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Britain.

Meanwhile, Tech Hive.com reported that the high court ignored a number of studies done by Swedish researchers between 2005 and 2009 that found no link between cell phone use and the disease.

Last year, however, the World Health Organization added cell phones’ electromagnetic fields to a list of “possibly carcinogenic” agents that includes coconut oil, DDT, gasoline exhaust, lead and talcum powder.

ADVERTISEMENT

[Image via Agence France-Presse]


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Andrew Cuomo threatens to bail on CNN interview when his brother shows vintage photo of governor in bellbottoms

Published

on

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) appeared to feign anger during a CNN interview Wednesday in which his brother, Christopher Cuomo, showed a vintage photo of their family with the elder brother clad in bellbottoms, a rhinestone belt and an unfortunate attempt at an afro.

The younger Cuomo is still suffering from the effects of coronavirus, appearing redfaced and wiping his brow. However, his brother noted that he seemed more animated than he has in days.

"Now I've seen you referred to a little bit recently as the 'Love Gov' and I'm wondering if that's making you a little soft on the president, that you don't want to really criticize him, because you need him and now's not a time for fighting," said the younger Cuomo. "But don't you have to balance that with calling him out if he's doing things that you don't think are great for the people of your state to be hearing and experiencing? Love Gov?"

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Fox News hosts are going back to downplaying threat from coronavirus: report

Published

on

Major Fox News personalities like Sean Hannity spent weeks assuring viewers that the novel coronavirus wasn't a serious threat. In recent weeks, however, they have shifted to a different narrative, acknowledging that the virus is dangerous but giving President Donald Trump credit for taking action and criticizing Democrats' lack of action — even though many Democrats, in fact, warned the pubic first.

But according to The Daily Beast, even as there is no clear end to the crisis in sight, and even as the U.S. crosses 13,000 deaths, many Fox News hosts are going back to downplaying the virus, either telling viewers it wasn't as bad as advertised and urging the president to end public safety measures against it.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

The dangers of Trump TV: MSNBC host hammers Fox News as ‘genuine public health threat’ amid pandemic

Published

on

Tuesday night, Fox News decided that all anyone needed to do is to pump Americans with a Malaria drug and send them back to work to save President Donald Trump's economy.

Speaking Wednesday night, MSNBC host Chris Hayes bashed the conservative network for downplaying the seriousness of coronavirus, saying that they are "a genuine public health threat."

While Trump has advisers like Dr. Anthony Fauci, he also has the unofficial advisers he sees on Fox News.

They "are coalescing around the idea the whole thing is just overblown and we need to pump everyone full of the malaria drug and get them back to work. This is what you heard if you watch trump tv just last night," Hayes said. He then played clips illustrating exactly that, with hosts ranting and raving about the virus not being as serious as the flu.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image