Quantcast
Connect with us

State Department takes down blueprints for 3D-printable handgun

Published

on

The State Department on Thursday ordered the nonprofit Defense Distributed to remove blueprints for the world’s first 3D-printed gun from its website.

“All such data should be removed from public access, the letter says. That might be an impossible standard. But we’ll do our part to remove it from our servers,” Defense Distributed founder Cody Wilson told Forbes.

ADVERTISEMENT

The department’s Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance warned Wilson that posting the materials online could be a violation of export controls. The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) prohibits weapons manufactures from exporting technical data to foreign persons without authorization from the State Department.

“This means that all such data should be removed from public access immediately,” the Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance said.

Wilson, a law student at the University of Texas in Austin, told Mother Jones he expects the situation will “end up being alright,” though he admitted that it was a “little too close to comfort for me that they would be now asserting this control.” He said the U.S. government refused to prosecute a similar case.

The warning from the State Department came just days after Defense Distributed unveiled the blueprints for its plastic single-shot handgun, called the “Liberator.” The firearm can be created by anyone with the blueprints and access to a 3D printer. Defense Distributed also released nine other 3D-printable firearms components.

Wilson is often described as a radical libertarian or simply an anarchist, but he appears to be uncomfortable with such political labels. Citing the French philosopher Michel Foucault, Wilson told Glenn Beck earlier this year he was fighting “anonymous forces of discipline and control.” In a 2012 interview, he said the project was about “being able to go, you know what, I don’t like this legal regime, I neatly step outside of it.”

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘We have them outnumbered’: Morning Joe explains why Trump’s ‘vile’ tweets don’t work on most people

Published

on

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough explained why most Americans could not be dragged down to President Donald Trump's level, hurling angry attacks and ignoring scientific advice.

The "Morning Joe" host said the president's refusal to wear a mask and his murder allegations against him would fall flat with most Americans, because they didn't spend all day stoking their own anger on social media.

"Most Americans don't live in the gutters of Twitter," Scarborough said. "Most Americans don't live posting hateful things about people on Facebook. They talk about their loved ones, they talk about their faith in God, they talk about their children, their grandchildren. We have them outnumbered."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

BUSTED: Trump task force member’s senate campaign got a $2.5 million loan from bank he helped run

Published

on

Bill Hagerty, a former U.S. ambassador to Japan who is now a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in Tennessee, has secured campaign funds from a number of people and corporate entities connected to the White House economic recovery council — of which he's a member.

Since September, the Hagerty campaign has pulled in $33,000 in campaign contributions from corporations and individuals on the task force. The campaign also took out a $2.5 million loan from Pinnacle Financial Partners on March 27, the same day that President Trump signed the $2.2 trillion Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump threatens to ‘close down’ social media companies if they don’t stop fact-checking his tweets

Published

on

President Donald Trump on Wednesday threatened to "close down" social media companies such as Facebook and Twitter if they didn't stop fact-checking his tweets about mail-in voting.

"Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices," the president wrote on Twitter. "We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen."

Trump's angry tirade was sparked when Twitter added a link at the end of one of the president's tweets that offered users additional facts about mail-in voting, which the president has falsely claimed is rife with fraud.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image