Quantcast
Connect with us

Toronto protesters call for Mayor Rob Ford to resign after deputies quit

Published

on

‘Stand up for Toronto’ demonstration draws hundreds upset by video allegedly showing city’s controversial mayor smoking crack

Hundreds of protesters gathered in Toronto on Saturday to call for the resignation of embattled city mayor Rob Ford over a scandal involving a video of him allegedly smoking crack.

The event, called Stand up for Toronto – Let’s Demand Rob Ford’s Resignation, comes on the back of a week of resignations among Ford’s close aides and continued denials of drug use by the controversial politician.

Ford has faced increased pressure to step down after the Toronto Star and gossip website Gawker produced stories giving details of how their staff had watched a clip that featured Ford apparently smoking from a crack pipe.

No video has surfaced to back up the claims, but the published accounts contained detailed descriptions of the clip, which was apparently being offered for sale by Toronto drug dealers. Gawker even ran a successful internet campaign to raise $200,000 in cash to buy the video – though the drug dealers have now reportedly disappeared without striking a deal.

At the protest some demonstrators stopped to write messages in chalk on a wall in downtown Toronto. They represented a mix of humour and seriousness – largely reflecting the public reaction to the strange scandal. “This is your city on crack,” said one, in reference to a widely remembered anti-drug advert of the 1980s. While another message read simply: “Rob Ford for resignation.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Ford himself has vociferously denied the allegations. At a press conference just over a week ago, he described the claim as nonsense. “I do not use crack cocaine, nor am I an addict of crack cocaine,” he said. But he declined then to answer reporters’ questions over whether he had used drugs in the past.

At a press conference on Thursday, the mayor responded “anything else” to questions about the scandal.

Ford also repeatedly declined to comment on the video, saying it does not exist. Last Sunday he spoke about the matter on a radio show he hosts with his brother, Doug Ford, who is a city council member. He blasted media chasing the story as “a bunch of maggots” and dismissed the video. “Number one: there’s no video, so that’s all I can say. You can’t comment on something that doesn’t exist,” he told a listener who asked about the issue.

But Ford’s firm stance has not prevented an exodus of senior members of his staff. On Thursday Brian Johnston, Ford’s policy and council relations adviser, and Kia Nejatian, Ford’s executive assistant, both resigned

ADVERTISEMENT

They joined chief-of-staff Mark Towhey – whom Ford fired after reportedly suggesting to the mayor that he go to rehab – and two press spokesmen, George Christopoulos and Isaac Ransom, who both resigned at the start of the week.

The swirl of rumour and scandal surrounding Ford is getting murkier almost by the day. Both Gawker and the Toronto Star have also published a photo provided by one of the men hawking the video which shows Ford with his arms around two men.

One of them is believed to be Anthony Smith, a 21-year-old college student who was recently killed in a shooting outside a Toronto nightclub.

The Star and the Globe and Mail have reported that the police are now investigating links between the video and a recent homicide in Toronto. The Star also reported this week that the third man in the photograph was injured in the same shooting, two months ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nor is this Ford’s first time at the centre of a PR disaster. The Toronto Star reported earlier this year that he was asked to leave a gala fundraiser for wounded Canadian soldiers because he appeared to be drunk.

During his election campaign, he denied a 1999 arrest for marijuana possession in Florida but later acknowledged it was true. He pleaded guilty to driving under the influence and failing to give a breath sample to police.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2013

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Progressive reformer claims victory in fiercely-contested Queens DA race

Published

on

Progressive reformer Tiffany Cabán has declared victory in her campaign versus Melinda Katz in the Queens District Attorney race.

With 99% of precincts reporting, Cabán held a lead of 1,090 votes, The New York Times reports.

Cabán was backed by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT).

Katz was backed by Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-NY), who chairs the Queens Democratic Party, and Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY)

https://twitter.com/CabanForQueens/status/1143721257353076737

https://twitter.com/CabanForQueens/status/1143721448168710151

Continue Reading

2020 Election

New 2020 poll shows Trump trailing all Democrats — some by double-digits

Published

on

President Donald Trump trails all of his Democratic rivals in hypothetical matchups of the 2020 presidential race, according to the result of a new poll released Tuesday.

This article originally appeared on Salon.

The survey, conducted by Emerson Polling, found that the president lags behind former vice president Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., by 10 points nationally — 45 percent to 55 percent. He also trails Sen. Elizabeth Warren by six points — 47 percent to 53 percent —and Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., and South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg by four points — 48 percent to 52 percent.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Beto O’Rourke’s ‘war tax’ policy proposal is straight out of ‘Starship Troopers’

Published

on

Amid an overcrowded Democratic presidential candidate field, it's hard to distinguish yourself from the pack if you don't slot easily into the scale that runs from "pro-corporate centrist" to "left-populist." If you're former Texas congressman Beto O'Rourke —  who falls somewhere in the middle, politically, and somewhere towards the top, looks-wise — you pull a militaristic policy proposal out of your hat that recalls some of the most campy pseudo-fascist sci-fi ever written.

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

 ENOUGH IS ENOUGH 

Trump endorses killing journalists, like Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi. Online ad networks are now targeting sites that cover acts of violence against dissidents, LGBTQ people and people of color.

Learn how you can help.
close-link