Quantcast
Connect with us

Surprises and snubs in Oscars foreign film shortlist

Published

on

Oscars organizers shortlisted nine movies including Palestinian, Danish and Hong Kong films Friday for best foreign language prize, offering surprises and some unexpected snubs.

Films left out included Saudi Arabia’s first-ever candidate and Pakistan’s first entry in five decades, while an Oscar-winning Iranian director also failed to make the cut.

Films by Belgian, Bosnian, Cambodian, German, Hungarian and Italian directors are on the shortlist, which did not include any women filmmakers.

“The Hunt” by Dane Thomas Vinterberg, “The Grandmaster” from Hong Kong’s Wong Kar-wai and “The Great Beauty” by Italian Paolo Sorrentino could be among the frontrunners.

But Iranian entry “The Past” — by director Asghar Farhadi, who won the best foreign film Oscar in 2012 for “A Separation” — was not on Friday’s list, despite forecasts that it would be among the leading nominees.

The films were whittled down from a long list of 76 movies announced in October by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which organizes Hollywood’s biggest annual awards fest.

ADVERTISEMENT

They will be reduced to five nominees next month, before nods in all Oscar categories are announced on January 16. The 86th Academy Awards will be held on March 2.

The nine shortlisted foreign language films are:

– “The Broken Circle Breakdown,” Belgium, director Felix van Groeningen.

– “An Episode in the Life of an Iron Picker,” Bosnia and Herzegovina, director Danis Tanovic.

ADVERTISEMENT

– “The Missing Picture,” Cambodia, director Rithy Panh.

– “The Hunt,” Denmark, director Thomas Vinterberg.

– “Two Lives,” Germany, director Georg Maas.

– “The Grandmaster,” Hong Kong, director Wong Kar-wai.

ADVERTISEMENT

– “The Notebook,” Hungary, director Janos Szasz.

– “The Great Beauty,” Italy, director Paolo Sorrentino.

– “Omar,” Palestine, director Hany Abu-Assad.

Industry journal Variety said the most surprising snubs were for Chilean Sebastian Lelio’s “Gloria,” Poland’s “Walesa: Man of Hope” by Andrzej Wajda, as well as the Iranian and Saudi entries.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Saudi long-list candidate, “Wadjda” by Haifaa al-Mansour, is an avowedly feminist movie about a young girl’s quest to own a bicycle in the ultra-conservative Muslim kingdom where women are deprived of many rights, among them driving.

Directed by Saudi Arabia’s first female filmmaker and shot entirely in the Gulf state, the film won best Arabic feature award at the Dubai Film Festival last year and picked up an award at Cannes in March.

For Pakistan, “Zinda Bhaag” (“Flee Alive”) was the first Oscar entry in more than 50 years. It is a comedy-thriller about three young men trying to escape the drudgery of their everyday lives through unconventional means.

Other high-profile titles not on the shortlist include Chinese director Feng Xiaogang’s “Back to 1942,” “Winter of Discontent,” by Egypt’s Ibrahim El Batout and Israel’s “Bethlehem” by director Yuval Adler, Variety said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Cannes Palme d’Or winner “Blue is the Warmest Color” from France did not make the list, because its release date did not meet Oscar nomination criteria, but it could still feature in other categories, including for best picture and actress, the industry journal noted.

The French film, an explicit tale of lesbian love, has been widely tipped for Hollywood awards-season gold. But to be eligible for the Oscars, foreign films must screen for at least a week between Oct. 1, 2012 and Sept. 30, 2013.

When the Academy unveiled the 76 eligible films in October, foreign-language committee chairman Mark Johnson told Variety: “We take great pride in being flexible; we want to include movies, not reject them.

“But if they’re ineligible, they’re ineligible,” he said.

[Image via Agence France-Presse]

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Retired admiral could pose serious threat if he decides to run against Iowa Republican: report

Published

on

On Wednesday, Iowa Starting Line reported that Ret. Adm. Michael Franken is in talks with state and national Democrats about challenging GOP Sen. Joni Ernst.

Franken, who has served as Deputy for Military Operations for AFRICOM, Director of the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency, and Chief of Legislative Affairs for the Department of the Navy, hails from Sioux Center, a town in the deeply conservative northwest part of the state.

Ernst, who first gained national attention for her 2014 campaign ad about castrating hogs, is a reliable vote for President Donald Trump in the Senate, and the president's poor approval ratings in Iowa have left Democrats hopeful that they can defeat her.

Continue Reading

Facebook

‘This American dream’: Pain overwhelms family of drowned migrants

Published

on

"They had this American dream," sobbed Rosa Ramirez after images of her drowned son and granddaughter, discovered face-down on the banks of the Rio Grande between Mexico and the United States, shocked the world on Wednesday.

The poignant pictures of Oscar Alberto Martinez and his toddler daughter Valeria -- not yet two years old -- has sparked outrage back home in El Salvador, where around 200 migrants like them leave for the United States daily, preparing to take similar risks.

"The pain has been immense. I still can't believe that my boy and my little granddaughter are dead, they only wanted to get to the United States.... they had this American dream -- to achieve a better life," Oscar's mother told AFP.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Venezuela government says thwarted attempted ‘coup’

Published

on

Venezuela's socialist government said Wednesday it had derailed an attempted coup, claiming the United States, Colombia and Chile colluded in a military plot to assassinate President Nicolas Maduro and install a general and former defense minister in his place.

Communications Minister Jorge Rodriguez said the plan involved active and retired army officers and was to have been executed between Sunday and Monday this past weekend.

"We were in all the meetings to plan the coup d'Etat. We were in all the conferences," Rodriguez said, suggesting that government informers had infiltrated the alleged plotters during planning meetings.

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

The 2020 election needs you. There are 18 months until the election, and the Supreme Court is on the line. I'm trying to add journalists to do more exclusive reports. Let me get rid of the ads for you, and put your support toward 100% progressive reporting. Want to ensure your voice is heard? Join me and restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

HELP TAKE BACK AMERICA
close-link