The new Chevrolets coming out this year will be faster — on the information superhighway.
The General Motors division said Sunday it would deploy fourth generation (4G) Internet connections on several models to help motorists who want to stay connected with the growing number of apps for automobiles.
Chevy will allow the 4G connections with Long Term Evolution (LTE) in a partnership with AT&T.
“Chevrolet is expected to implement the broadest deployment of 4G LTE in the automotive industry,” said Alan Batey, senior vice president of Global Chevrolet, who added that the move “is indicative of our broad commitment to deliver more value and convenience through smart technology applications.”
The high-speed connections will allow for a Wi-Fi hotspot that allows passengers in a vehicle to use tablets or other devices, or to watch videos via the Internet in vehicles which have screens.
The 4G cars will for now only be sold in the United States and Canada, according to the Chevrolet announcement at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
“This technology is not just for the rich and famous,” Batey said at a news conference.
“You’re going to be connected everywhere.”
Initially 10 vehicle models will get the 4G connections by mid-2014 but more will be added, he said.
The auto sector’s presence is growing at CES with a large number of carmakers and related technology firms showing their wares at the huge electronics expo opening Tuesday.
The service links with GM’s OnStar service to apps and services that require a high speed cellular or data connection. Current AT&T customers will be able to add their vehicle to a shared data plan or purchase a standalone option.
Chevrolet said its AppShop includes programs for data, music, news, weather, travel information and more. Some of the current apps include iHeartRadio, Priceline.com, The Weather Channel, NPR, Slacker Radio and Cityseeker.
Joe Biden has one key coronavirus question he wants answered: ‘Where are the tests, Mr. President?’
Despite the inability to hold campaign rallies, the 2020 presidential campaign is continuing in spite of the COVID-19 coronavirus crisis.
With the response to coronavirus being the top public policy discussion in America, all eyes are focused on President Donald Trump's actions.
Trump had promised the nation that he would set up COVID-19 drive-thru testing sites in the parking lots of big-box retailers but has so far failed to deliver.
Banks are causing a cash crisis by tightening lending standards during coronavirus crisis
Major banks in America are tightening access to credit as coronavirus shutdowns put households across America in dire financial shape, The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.
"Banks and financial-technology firms are starting to toughen their approval standards for new loans to consumers and small businesses. That means many people could find it hard to get credit just when they most need it, as the novel coronavirus pandemic puts thousands out of work," the newspaper reported.
BUSTED: Florida’s GOP governor illegally denied Miami Herald access to coronavirus briefing
Gov. Ron DeSantis denied the Miami Herald access to a COVID-19 coronavirus briefing, the newspaper's Tallahassee Bureau Chief reported Saturday.
"Gov. Ron DeSantis decided to violate the state's public meeting laws and chose to exclude the Miami Herald and Tampa Bay Times from a media briefing at the Capitol," Mary Ellen Klas reported.
"His media staff told another reporter, NSF's Jim Turner, that if he insisted that we be allowed in, Turner would be kept out," she noted.