Quantcast
Connect with us

Report: New York homeland security chief used handgun as laser pointer during speech

Published

on

Visiting foreign dignitaries were alarmed when New York’s director of homeland security pulled out a handgun and used its laser sighting device as a pointer during a presentation late last year.

The incident happened Oct. 24 but was only reported Monday by the Albany Times Union.

Public officials told the newspaper that Jerome Hauer used the improvised laser pointer during a presentation on the state’s response to Superstorm Sandy at the highly secure state emergency operations center beneath state police headquarters.

ADVERTISEMENT

He even tracked the laser across a visiting Swedish emergency manager’s forehead before finding the New York map he wanted, the officials said.

The newspaper reported that Hauer was disabled several years ago by a stroke and can be unsteady at times.

The state commissioner of the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services also carries the loaded 9-millimeter Glock handgun in a holster into state buildings, witnesses told the paper, in apparent violation of the law prohibiting state employees from bringing weapons to work.

Hauer is not a law enforcement officer, although he is licensed to carry a gun in Albany and New York City, but his spokesman wasn’t sure if he was authorized to carry a firearm into state offices.

An aide for Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the matter would be investigated but declined further comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hauer’s spokesman said he’d heard rumors about the incident and promised to look into it.

The paper reported that no one, including Hauer, had denied the incident.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Kayleigh McEnany says she has no ‘data’ on whether Tulsa rally increased COVID — but city official says it likely did

Published

on

At Wednesday's White House briefing, Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany was confronted with the fact that President Donald Trump's rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma led to an outbreak of COVID-19 cases. Her reply was to plead ignorance: "I have no data to indicate that."

However, according to a health official in Tulsa, the pattern of cases indicates it is "likely" that it did just that.

"President Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa in late June that drew thousands of participants and large protests 'likely contributed' to a dramatic surge in new coronavirus cases, Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said Wednesday," reported Sean Murphy for the Associated Press. "Tulsa County reported 261 confirmed new cases on Monday, a one-day record high, and another 206 cases on Tuesday. By comparison, during the week before the June 20 Trump rally, there were 76 cases on Monday and 96 on Tuesday."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

New Hampshire Republican officials aren’t interested in attending Trump’s upcoming rally

Published

on

President Donald Trump held a campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, that was supposed to be massive, but one of the main problems that came up for the team is that thousands and thousands of people signed up for tickets, who never attended. This time, they think they've figured it out, said the New York Times.

"Campaign officials believe they will be able to prevent the kind of ticket prank that helped turn Mr. Trump's rally last month," the report said, noting that the crowd was a "far smaller event than expected — but they still can't say for sure."

"Registering for a rally means you've RSVPed with a cellphone number, and we constantly weed out bogus numbers," campaign spokesman, Tim Murtaugh said. "These phony ticket requests never factor into our thinking. What makes this lame attempt at hacking our events even more foolish is the fact that every rally is general admission — entry is on a first-come-first-served basis, and prior registration is not required."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

New Lincoln Project ad tells voters to remember the Republicans who enabled Trump’s ‘circus of incompetence’

Published

on

In their latest ad, the anti-Trump conservative group The Lincoln Project targeted not the president, but Senate Republicans who have sat by and enabled him.

"Some day soon, the time of Trump will pass," said the narrator. "This circus of incompetence, corruption, and cruelty will end. When it does, the men and women in Trump's Republican Party will come to you, telling you they can repair the damage he has done. They'll beg you to forgive their votes to exonerate Trump from his crimes. Ask you to forgive their silence, their cowardice, and their betrayals as Trump wrecked this nation."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image