Quantcast
Connect with us

Men’s rights activists blame feminists for alleged threats against Detroit confab

Published

on

Men’s rights activists are raising money to save a conference scheduled for later this month after its venue received alleged death threats.

Janet Bloomfield, social media director of the International Conference on Men’s Issues, made an appeal for donations in a 17-minute video produced by men’s rights blogger Dean Esmay and posted online Sunday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

The video features dozens of other supporters describing themselves as “real” people who are advocates for men’s and boys’ rights and critics of feminism.

The group had exceeded its $25,000 goal by Tuesday morning. The money is needed to pay for additional security at the event, scheduled for June 27 and 28 at the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton in Detroit.

Paul Elam, founder and publisher of A Voice for Men, which is hosting the conference, said the hotel had sent him a certified letter asking the group to pay for seven Detroit police officers to stand guard in three shifts, 24 hours a day, at the hotel to protect the safety of other guests.

The hotel also required organizers to pay for $2 million in commercial general liability insurance and additional insurance for the police officers, Elam said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Esmay told The Raw Story the insurance policies would cost the group about $1,000 altogether.

A police spokesman told The Detroit News that the hotel had contacted the department about hiring off-duty officers to provide security, but he told the newspaper that police had not been notified about any threats against the hotel or the conference.

The hotel’s owner told the newspaper he was unaware of the conference and any threats made against it, but he said it wasn’t unusual for hotels to require additional security for some events.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We have received numerous calls and threats and are concerned for the safety and well-being of our employees, our guests, and your attendees,” hotel officials said Thursday in a letter to Elam. “The threats have escalated to include death threats, physical violence against our staff and other guests, as well as damage to the property.”

Esmay said event organizers had not been provided with details about the threats, but he suspected they might have been made by some of the controversial group’s outspoken critics.

“We’ve had ongoing problems with the feminist establishment, which is a multibillion-dollar hate industry, for years,” Esmay said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Southern Poverty Law Center has described A Voice For Men as “women haters whose fury goes well beyond criticism of the family court system, domestic violence laws, and false rape accusations” — but the organization stopped short of calling them a hate group.

Esmay said the media and feminist establishment – phrases he conceded sounded like a conspiracy theory – had long described men’s rights activists as violent misogynists.

“A false narrative has been created to make us look like a threat, and this has been going on for 40 years,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Esmay said the feminist establishment had marginalized men’s rights activists because they claim domestic violence is not a gender issue and that women’s shelters and other services intended to protect victims actually harmed them.

“They have a lot of money at stake,” Esmay said.

He wasn’t sure if the threats were related to the fatal shootings last month of seven people by a gunman who has been lumped among men’s rights activists – although Esmay and others bristle at the comparison.

“If they’re related to the shooting, they’re doing it opportunistically,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

He was disappointed that some of his group’s opponents had apparently tried to shut down the conference instead of attending.

“We have multiples times offered to contact protesters and talk, invited them to peacefully protest and attend, you know, and find out that we’re human,” Esmay said. “But all they’ll tell me is they won’t talk to terrorists or make fun of me or just ignore me.”

Watch the video posted online by Paul Elam:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump lashes out at Pelosi for going to Jordan to fix his Syria flub

Published

on

Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Donald Trump

President Donald Trump tweeted his anger about Speaker Nancey Pelosi (D-CA) taking a delegation of leaders to Jordan to meet with those working on Syria.

"Pelosi is now leading a delegation of 9, including Corrupt Adam Schiff, to Jordan to check out Syria. She should find out why Obama drew The Red Line In the Sand, & then did NOTHING, losing Syria & all respect. I did something, 58 missiles. One million died under Obama’s mistake!" Trump tweeted Sunday.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186016354572353536

Vice President Mike Pence went to Turkey last week to attempt to negotiate a ceasefire, but what he ended up with was 120-hour freeze on bombing Kurds.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Hillary Clinton posts fake letter from JFK to mock Trump’s absurd one to Turkey

Published

on

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has taken up a new hobby of trolling President Donald Trump on Twitter.

The grandmother of three excelled in her sarcasm and stepped up her shade Sunday afternoon by releasing a fake letter from Former President John F. Kennedy to former Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev.

Read the fake letter and see the tweet below:

Dear Premier Khrushchev,

Don't be a d*ck, ok? Get your missiles out of Cuba. Everybody will say 'Yay! Khrushchev! You're the best!' But if you don't everybody will be like 'what an assh*le' and call your garbage country 'The Soviet Bunion.'

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

‘I’d be open to it’: Trump voters warming up to impeachment as president’s Ukraine story unravels

Published

on

In one of the pieces that both the Washington Post and the New York Times are famous for, a visit to talk to Donald Trump voters outside the Beltway about how they feel about the president three years after the election reveals cracks in his support as more information becomes available about his Ukraine phone call that precipitated an impeachment inquiry.

According to the Post's report, they ventured out to Staten Island, or specifically: "New York’s 11th Congressional District, a swath of the country as good a place as any to gauge how a defining moment in American democracy is playing out."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image