Quantcast
Connect with us

Philly ‘sovereign citizen’ claims ‘common law’ immunity from prosecution for bank robbery

Published

on

A self-described sovereign citizen charged in an armed bank robbery near Philadelphia wants to represent himself and tried separately from his two alleged conspirators.

Ishaq Ibrahim, 28, is charged along with 26-year-old James Byrd and 22-year-old Wesley Davis in the June 19, 2013, holdup of a National Penn Bank branch in Lower Pottsgrove Township, Pennsylvania.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I wish to defend me and my own person,” Ibrahim told a judge Monday. “I wish to contract with no attorney or anything like that.”

Judge William Furber Jr. allowed Ibrahim to be tried separately, reported The Mercury News, but he appointed an assistant public defender as “standby counsel.”

The judge also allowed Ibrahim access to the library at the jail where he’s being held on $1 million bond.

Ibrahim – who has suggested that he is not subject to U.S. laws or government proceedings — has repeatedly claimed that prosecutors have no authority to try him and has also interrupted the judge and challenged his jurisdiction over the case.

“My ruling is I do have the jurisdiction and that ends it,” Furber said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ibrahim has challenged a search warrant issued during the investigation and questions whether the charges are criminal or civil.

“I’m a sovereign citizen of a sovereign state and my common law rights have been withheld and denied,” Ibrahim said.

Sovereign citizens argue the state cannot be a claimant under common law – which is based on custom and judicial precedent, rather than statutes – and so believe that prosecutors illegally pursue criminal cases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ibrahim is accused of robbing the bank with Davis while Byrd acted as the getaway driver.

Police said Ibrahim jumped over a teller counter, shoved a gun into the teller’s side, and ordered her to take out cash and place the money in his bag.

ADVERTISEMENT

All three suspects were arrested a short time later after a pursuit, and police recovered more than $11,000 stolen in the heist.

Another self-described sovereign citizen from Philadelphia was convicted last week in connection with a home invasion robbery.

Kevin Green, who has gang ties and a lengthy criminal record, will be sentenced in September in connection with that case.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump is already making up conspiracy theories about voter fraud — and it’ll only get worse

Published

on

The election is eight months away, but President Donald Trump is already crying foul.

Bloomberg News wrote Sunday that Trump is already working to undermine the American electoral process by attacking the Democratic presidential primary.

"Indeed, his campaign, with the full support of the Republican Party, is already waging a vigorous crusade to destroy his opposition. No, it's not Joe Biden, who inspired Trump's shakedown of Ukraine. Trump's gunning for bigger game: democracy itself," wrote Francis Wilkinson for Bloomberg.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

READ IT: More than 1,100 former US Department of Justice officials tell Bill Barr to resign now

Published

on

More than 1,100 former US Department of Justice officials called on Attorney General William P. Barr on Sunday to step down after he intervened last week to lower the Justice Department’s sentencing recommendation for President Trump’s longtime friend and political crony Roger J. Stone Jr.

“It is unheard of for the Department’s top leaders to overrule line prosecutors, who are following established policies, in order to give preferential treatment to a close associate of the President, as Attorney General Barr did in the Stone case,” wrote the former Justice Department attorneys in their Sunday letter. “It is even more outrageous for the Attorney General to intervene as he did here — after the President publicly condemned the sentencing recommendation that line prosecutors had already filed in court.”

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump campaign forced to delete #Daytona500 Air Force One photo because it was from 15 years ago

Published

on

Air Force One in flight.

Another oops moment happened for President Donald Trump's campaign manager stole George W. Bush's photo from the Daytona 500 in 2004.

Tweeting Sunday, Brad Parscale proclaimed, "[email protected] won the #Daytona500 before the race even started."

Except, it wasn't him. As many people pointed out, the image was from 16 years ago by photographer Jonathan Ferrey, CNN reported. Parscale was forced to delete it and tweet it out again with an underwhelming photo.

Continue Reading
 
 
close-image