The US National Security Agency and British intelligence services are able to secretly access data from telecoms giant Deutsche Telekom and several other German operators, according to Der Spiegel weekly.
An NSA programme called “Treasure Map” gives the US agency and Britain’s electronic eavesdropping GCHQ near real-time information about the operators’ networks, right through to end users on computers, smartphones or tablets, Der Spiegel said in a report to appear in its Sunday edition.
It is the latest in a string of revelations based on documents leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.
Spiegel said the tracking programme, which it dubbed “the Google Earth of the Internet”, can be used to plan cyber attacks.
The magazine said it did not receive any immediate comment from the NSA or GCHQ in response to the claims.
Satellite ground station operator Stellar, which according to Spiegel was among the German firms targeted, responded angrily to the revelation.
“A cyber attack of this kind clearly violates German law,” said Stellar boss Christian Steffen, after Spiegel presented it with a GCHQ document said to contain the passwords of some of its clients.
In response to the Spiegel report, Deutsche Telekom and regional operator Netcologne said they had not identified any data breaches.
But Deutsche Telekom’s IT security head Thomas Tschersich said: “The access of foreign secret services to our network would be totally unacceptable.”
“We are looking into any indication of a possible manipulation. We have also alerted the authorities,” he told the weekly.
The Snowden leaks, which began last year and have revealed massive surveillance by the United States, have provoked outrage in Germany and damaged ties with Washington following disclosures that the NSA tapped Chancellor Angela Merkel’s mobile phone.
The FBI believes Donald Trump and Hope Hicks discussed silencing Stormy Daniels with payments
New court documents released from the Southern District of New York revealed that Hope Hicks and Donald Trump were both involved with the hush-money payments given to adult film star Stormy Daniels.
The information released were documents related to the search warrant for the campaign finance violations that former Trump fixer Michael Cohen pled guilty to. They were supposed to be fully unredacted, however, dozens of pages and names remain redacted.
"The government has effectively concluded its investigation of (1) who, besides Michael Cohen, was involved in and may be criminally liable for the two campaign finance violations to which Cohen pled guilty [redacted]; and (2) whether certain individuals, [redacted], made false statements gave false testimony or otherwise obstructed justice in connection with this investigation [redacted]," the documents revealed.
Shocking video: White man attacks black woman after traffic accident — then pulls a gun on her and bystanders
A Lockport, New York man has been charged with throwing an African-American Muslim woman to the ground before drawing his gun and pointing it at her and others.
According to WBFO, Jeffrey Calhoun is being charged with attempted robbery in the first degree, menacing in the second degree and harassment in the second degree after the incident occurred during a small traffic incident. The entire encounter was captured on a cell phone video showing Calhoun fly into a rage.
Florida county GOP disinvites ex-Trump official from fundraiser because he criticized the president’s racist tweets
Anthony Scaramucci, who had an infamously short career as President Donald Trump's director of White House communications, is now paying a price for calling out the president's racist tweets.
Politico reports that the Palm Beach County GOP has disinvited Scaramucci from speaking at its annual fundraising event because he criticized Trump's tweets telling four Democratic women of color to "go back" to the countries they came from even though all four are American citizens.