A New Jersey activist and Hurricane Sandy survivor filmed during a confrontation with Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Wednesday accused his administration of short-changing a $1.1 billion federal relief package meant to help residents.
“Only 20 percent of those dollars have gotten to the people,” James Keady told MSNBC host Chris Hayes. “Of the $1.1 billion, $219 million has gone out. That means that the governor and his staff in Trenton are sitting on $800 million.”
According to Keady’s advocacy group, Finish The Job, Christie’s administration has mismanaged the Rehabilitation, Reconstruction, Elevation and Mitigation (RREM) while boasting about its success in the public eye.
“Photo ops, Christie, President Obama, everybody walking on the beach, kumbaya, giving the hugs,” he said.
Keady faced off with Christie as the governor gave a speech in Belmar commemorating two years since the hurricane devastated New Jersey. Video of the encounter shows Keady standing in front of Christie bearing a sign saying, “Get Sandy families back in their homes,” prompting Christie to berate him from the stage.
“I’m glad you had your day to show off, but we’re the ones who are here to actually do the work,” Christie told him. “So turn around and get your 15 minutes of fame and then maybe take your jacket off and roll up your sleeves and do something for the people of this state.”
Christie later added that if he had 1,000 things to do during the day, dinner with Keady “would be 1,001,” and told him to “sit down and shut up.”
But Keady, who grew up in Belmar, rebuked Christie’s accusation that he did not “do the work” in his community.
“When the hurricane happened, I actually took a month off from work, dropped everything and volunteered to help clean out peoples’ homes,” James Keady told MSNBC host Chris Hayes. “It actually reached the point within a day or two [that] the borough gave me a borough dump truck running all the clean-up crews all over town.”
Keady also insisted his information was accurate as of Oct. 24.
“Unless $800 million went out the door in the last four days, it’s still sitting there,” he said of the RREM funds.
Watch Hayes’ interview with Keady, as aired on Wednesday on MSNBC, below.
CNN panel lights up Trump over ‘the greatest hypocrisy’ of his presidency
President Donald Trump received harsh criticism on Saturday for golfing while continuing to push conspiracy theories about the 2020 presidential election, which Trump lost to President-elect Joe Biden.
"In Wisconsin, President-elect Joe Biden has just picked up more votes in the state's recount. Remember, this is a recount that was requested by President Trump's campaign in its failing attempt to overturn the election results," CNN's Boris Sanchez reported. "The final count gave Biden a more than 180,000 vote edge over his rival in Milwaukee County and certified his victory."
"By the way, the recount cost millions of dollars, so the Trump team spent millions to lose even harder," he added.
CNN legal analyst laughs off Trump’s desire to get before the Supreme Court after a series of ‘humiliating’ court losses
On CNN Saturday, former federal prosecutor Elie Honig assessed the mounting failures in President Donald Trump's legal efforts to challenge the result of the 2020 election.
"I'm laughing because they keep trying, and the results this week somehow went from horrible to somehow even worse," said Honig. "The big case now is ... Rudy Giuliani's effort to overturn Pennsylvania. Last week, a federal district court judge firmly rejected the case. He said there's zero evidence. He called the case, a quote, 'Frankenstein's monster haphazardly stitched together' and that's gotta sting, and yesterday a three-judge panel of the Court of Appeals decisively and harshly rejected the case as well. And the thing is, President Trump's lawyers tried to attack the first judge, saying, well, he's an Obama nominee. Well, guess what? The three judges yesterday who unanimously rejected it were appointed by President George W. Bush, George W. Bush, and Donald J. Trump."
Judges are ‘fed up’ with Trump’s voter fraud claims as his lawyers get ‘themselves into hot water’: Ex-prosecutor
On CNN Saturday, following Donald Trump's Pennsylvania election suit being dismissed in a scathing opinion by a federal judge he had appointed, former federal prosecutor Shan Wu broke down the significance of the latest developments.
"I think this judge was just the latest in a series of judges fed up with the Trump team's weak arguments," said Wu. "I said in a piece back on November 8th on CNN that it was time for the Trump legal team to put up or shut up, and they haven't done either. I mean, judge after judge has rebuked them for not having any actual evidence. Even their claims are inconsistent. You hear the president publicly, Rudy Giuliani, the so-called mastermind, talking about fraud, and yet also Giuliani publicly has said this is not a fraud case. So they're all over the board."