Cleveland officials said on Monday they have released a video recording of the fatal shooting of a 12-year-old boy by police to representatives of the boy’s family, and will eventually release it to the public.
Tamir E. Rice was shot by police on Saturday after he brandished a pellet gun at a Cleveland recreation center. He died of his injuries on Sunday.
Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams said at a news conference that the Rice family had been invited to see the video, but had declined. He said family representatives have had a chance to view it, and will discuss it with the family.
Cleveland Deputy Police Chief Ed Tumba said the video was “very clear on what took place.”
Police had responded to a report of someone with a pistol who was scaring people. Officers told the boy to raise his hands, but Rice reached to his waistband for the gun, and was shot, police said.
The officer who shot the boy was about ten feet away from him, police said. The officer is on administrative leave.
Authorities said the gun held by Rice was an Airsoft-type replica gun, which typically shoots plastic pellets, and resembles a semi-automatic pistol. Williams said it was indistinguishable from a real firearm.
Jeff Follmer, president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association, said the officer who shot Rice was on the job for about a year, and didn’t know the 911 caller had told a dispatcher the gun was “probably fake.”
“Every officer you talk to would have done the same thing,” Follmer said, who saw the video.
The shooting comes as the country awaits a Missouri grand jury’s decision over whether to indict a Ferguson police officer for the fatal shooting of an unarmed teenager. That case has led to multiple protests and a renewed focus on police interactions with African Americans.
Both Rice and Brown were African American.
Mayor Frank Jackson of Cleveland told reporters the ongoing Ferguson case didn’t matter in the Rice case.
“What matters to me is that it happened in Cleveland and it happened to a child,” Jackson said.
Williams said police were looking at video and forensics evidence, and conducting interviews with possible witnesses.
“Kids need to know that guns aren’t toys and we shouldn’t provide them to our kids, plain and simple,” Williams said.
An Ohio grand jury last September decided not to press charges against two police officers who fatally shot a man while he held a pellet gun at a Dayton-area Walmart.
(Reporting by Kim Palmer; Writing by Mary Wisniewski; Editing by Bernadette Baum)
These 6 former Trump officials are most likely to throw him under the bus in 2020
Former Trump White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci said on Monday that he believed we would soon see a groundswell of former Trump administration officials coming out to publicly denounce the president ahead of his 2020 reelection bid in an effort to warn Americans of his unfitness for office.
Given that the Trump White House has experienced record turnover during its two-and-a-half year existence, there is no shortage of disgruntled former officials who could come out against the president's reelection campaign within the next year.
Trump’s ignorance has touched off a new crisis in Kashmir
While Americans parse conspiracy theories about billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein’s demise in a Manhattan jail cell, Trump’s sinister role in helping light a fuse in one of the most dangerous areas of the world has gone virtually unnoticed – by the U.S. that is.
India’s abrupt takeover on Aug. 5 of the Muslim-majority Kashmir state was a double whammy for the seven million inhabitants of this once-storied Himalayan kingdom nominally ruled by India and bordered by arch-enemy Pakistan as well as China, both of which claim territory in the region. All three countries have nuclear weapons.
Is Trump is right? Is there ‘something going on’ at Fox News?
President Donald Trump denounced Fox News after the network released a poll showing him lagging behind the four current frontrunners for the Democratic presidential nomination.
"Fox has changed, and my worst polls have always been from Fox. There's something going on at Fox — I'll tell you right now," Trump told reporters Sunday in New Jersey. "And I'm not happy with it."
The president went on to list which talent on the Fox News roster he was pleased with, while also suggesting that the hosts of the presidential debates could be determined by who treats him most favorably.
"Fox was treated very badly by the Democrats — very, very badly having to do with the Democrats and other things. And I think Fox is making a big mistake," Trump added. "Because you know, I'm the one who calls the shots on the really big debates. I guess we're probably planning on three of them. And I'm not happy with Fox."