Quantcast
Connect with us

Creationist rejects discovery of 2.8 million-year-old jawbone: Were scientists there?

Published

on

An Australian creationist dismissed the recent discovery of a jawbone fossil that pushes back the origins of humanity by half a million years.

The fossil, which scientists say is 2.8 million years old, appears to be from a previously unknown species that represents the earliest known member of the human lineage.

Tas Walker, a geologist from Creation Ministries International, said in an interview with Australia’s 693-AM that he doesn’t trust scientific dating methods because researchers deliberately skewed their findings.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Every dating method is based on assumptions about the past, and so you choose the dating method to get the date the sort of date to fit in with where it is and you select the results that fit in with your research program,” Walker said.

Besides, the creationist said, there is only one scientific authority.

“The only way to reliably know the age of something is by eyewitness reports,” Walker explained. “That’s how I know my age, that’s how you know your age, and basically the Bible gives us an eyewitness report — people who were there from the beginning that’s recorded down, and it’s about 6,000 years old.”

Walker said he acknowledges the jawbone’s discovery, but he disputes scientific conclusions about its significance.

“The argument, or the differences, is over the interpretation – and the evolutionary interpretation is based upon basically a belief system that evolution happened,” he said. “So it’s just plugged into that belief, it’s a whole framework.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Walker argued that evidence suggested the jawbone proves the biblical account of the flood.

“These particular fossils, this jawbone in Ethiopia, it’s found there within sediment that’s classified as Pliocene, 2.8 million years old, according to the evolutionary model,” he said. “But that would be very, very late flood, most likely, and these would be the remains of creatures that perished, and this is just the remains of the carcasses being buried as the floodwaters were receding right toward the very end of that event.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Here’s why a new rule could result in Trump losing his diploma from Wharton

Published

on

In 2019, a college admissions scandal rocked the country. Thus far it has resulted in 53 people being charged with cheating the system, paying for people to take standardized tests and paying their way into schools. Over the 7-year investigation, the FBI uncovered everyone from celebrities to wealthy families for conspiracy to commit felony mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

In response to the scandal, the University of Pennsylvania announced that would revoke the degree of any graduate found to have given false information in an admission application, cheated on an exam or tempered with their records, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Gov. Ron DeSantis still won’t reveal true COID-19 data — so things are probably much worse

Published

on

Florida reached 213,000 coronavirus cases on Tuesday, as Gov. Ron DeSantis continues to encourage the state to reopen at all costs.

According to CNN's Randi Kaye, the numbers spell "trouble" for the state as it's GOP leaders are opting for a simplistic approach to reopening.

Just in the last 24 hours, they have had more than 1,600 people hospitalized for COVID," she cited. "In the last two weeks, the hospitalization haves gone up 90 percent. The ICU bed demand has gone up 86 percent, and the ventilator usage has gone up 127 percent. The governor is saying he's sending 100 nurses and 47 beds to Jackson Health because they need it so much. But at last check, we've noted that about 56 hospitals around the state have run out of ICU beds, which means they have no space for anyone who needs an ICU bed. This is really critical for Miami-Dade because they make up the 24 percent of the cases throughout the state, so they really need those hospital beds."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Joe Shapiro — the man who took Trump’s SATs for him

Published

on

The University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School is being thrust into the spotlight after it was alleged that President Donald Trump was admitted after his sister did his homework for him and a friend named Joe Shapiro took his SATs.

In a new tell-all book by the president's niece, Mary Trump, it was revealed that the Penn grad wasn't quite the "genius" he has claimed to be. He announced he was "first in his class at Wharton," though he never was admitted to the prestigious MBA program at the school and he was never listed on the dean's list the year he graduated, the Penn student newspaper reported in 2017.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image