Quantcast
Connect with us

Donald Trump is buying positive coverage from Breitbart.com — and editorial staffers are outraged

Published

on

A group of staffers from conservative website Breitbart.com have accused the website of taking money from Donald Trump in exchange for favorable coverage.

BuzzFeed reported Sunday night that four anonymous sources within the organization say that the website’s management have entered into a “financial arrangement” with the billionaire reality TV star and 2016 presidential hopeful.

ADVERTISEMENT

“One current editor called the water-carrying ‘despicable’ and ’embarrassing,'” wrote BuzzFeed’s McKay Coppins, “and said he was told by an executive last year that the company had a financial arrangement with Trump.”

Other editors and staffers say they have heard similar statements from management but are fuzzy on the particulars of how the relationship works. Coppins also said that a “conservative communications operative” who has worked closely with the website confirmed that Trump has established a “pay for play” relationship with the right-leaning website in which he opens his wallet in order to shape coverage of his campaign for the Republican 2016 nomination.

None of the informants would go on the record, Coppins said, for fear of losing their jobs at the conservative website.

Trump’s candidacy has suffered since the debate last week. The thin-skinned Republican frontrunner chafed at the tone of some questions by Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly and has continued to throw sexist barbs in her direction and accuse her of asking him difficult questions because she was menstruating.

As many conservative news outlets have soured on the novelty of Trump’s shoot-from-the-hip statements and carnival-barker approach to politics, Breitbart.com has continued to dole out fawning coverage of the candidate and to rain all-caps invective on his critics.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, Steve Bannon — Breitbart.com’s executive chairman — hotly denied the accusation of a financial arrangement.

“We have no financial relationship with Donald Trump as an investor, advertiser or in any other capacity at this time — nor have we ever,” Bannon said in a statement. “The insinuation that we do — or did — is a lie. Mr. Trump is a savvy and successful businessman but not the type of investor I partner with in emerging growth companies.”

Breitbart.com was founded by right-wing provocateur Andrew Breitbart, whose personal animus against liberals drove his mission to create a conservative media empire and bring about “the end of the professional left.” He collapsed and died of a heart attack during a night of drinking in March of 2012.

ADVERTISEMENT

Since then, the staff he left behind have squabbled amongst themselves over what direction to take the website, which has spent nearly as much time feuding with employees past and present as it has reporting the news.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Morning Joe’s Mika: Thousands are dying of COVID-19 because Trump is ‘surrounded by inexperienced suck-ups’

Published

on

By

MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski got right to the point on Tuesday morning by saying people are getting sick and dying in the U.S. because Donald Trump is surrounded by a collection of "suck-ups" who won't tell him the brutal truth about what is happening in the country.

As part of a "Morning Joe" panel discussion on the failings of the Trump administration to head off of the COVID-19 pandemic that is ravaging the country -- despite ample warnings it was on the way -- Brzezinski, as well as co-host Willie Geist, levied some hard accusations against the president and his team.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

MSNBC’s Morning Joe and Mika reveal why Trump likely ignored startlingly accurate COVID-19 memos

Published

on

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski rebuked President Donald Trump for apparently ignoring startlingly accurate warnings from trade adviser Peter Navarro about the coronavirus pandemic.

Navarro's memos were circulated at the highest levels of government in January and February, but the president downplayed the virus until early March, when statewide lockdowns started wrecking the U.S. economy.

"In one worst-case scenario cited in the memo, Navarro warned that more than half a million Americans could die, and, yet, weeks after that, you had Donald Trump at rallies saying that in April when it warms up, this will miraculously go away," Scarborough said. "Put this in context with, I suppose you could say with 9/11, the memos warning of al-Qaeda attacks using airplanes, maybe missed signals FDR didn't pick up on before Pearl Harbor. I really don't know, though, what parallel there can be, because so many more people are going to die because of these missed signals."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘One failure after another’: MSNBC’s Morning Joe busts tragic COVID-19 mistakes Trump keeps trying to deny

Published

on

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough lamented the repeated failures and missed opportunities by President Donald Trump as he faced the coronavirus outbreak.

The "Morning Joe" host criticized the president for claiming it was not the federal government's job to test Americans for the virus, and instead shifted responsibility to the states and their governors.

"This is a perfect 'the buck stops here' contrast with Donald Trump, saying, 'I am not responsible,'" Scarborough said. "What we can talk about is ventilators, the national Defense Production Act. We could talk about all the ways that Donald Trump keeps trying to pass the buck, keeps trying to say, 'I'm not responsible.'"

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image