Quantcast
Connect with us

Autistic, legally-blind Minnesota teen suffers seizures after cops slam him to the ground

Published

on

A 17-year-old boy who has Asperger’s syndrome was hospitalized on Monday after an encounter with three transit officers in St. Paul, Minnesota, KARE-TV reported.

Footage of the incident shows Marcus Abrams on the floor in handcuffs as officers stand over him. The person filming the encounter can be heard saying, “That man was just having a seizure.” Abrams and his mother, Maria Caldwell, later said he suffered two seizures.

ADVERTISEMENT

“One had their whole body on my whole face, and I couldn’t breathe,” said Abrams, who wears specially-magnified eyeglasses because he is legally blind.

According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Abrams and two friends were on their way home from working at the Minnesota State Fair when two officers, identified as Peter Buzicky and Richard Wegner, spotted him briefly standing on the tracks at a local train station. One of Abrams’ friends said he was only on the tracks for seconds before stepping off of them.

The officers then approached Abrams and asked for his identification. Police said that Wegner then ordered him to put his hands behind his back. When he refused, Wegner grabbed his wrist and tried to pull it behind his back. When the teen backed up, Wegner grabbed him by the vest.

“He was able to cock his left hand by his left ear while looking right at me telling me not to touch him,” Wegner wrote in his report. Caldwell told the newspaper that her son’s condition, along with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and “touch-sensory issues,” makes him extremely sensitive regarding his personal space.

Wegner stated in his report that he then used a “leg sweep takedown” to drop Abrams to the floor, before placing him in a “neck restraint” when the teen allegedly tried to hit and kick him and Buzicky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Abrams was hospitalized, but not charged after his mother confirmed his condition. The case is currently being reviewed, but Caldwell said it demonstrated the need for officers to be better-prepared for these types of encounters.

“Why aren’t these cops, in some way, trained to deal with the autistic, the disabled, the mentally-challenged?” she asked.

Watch KARE’s report below.

ADVERTISEMENT

[h/t The Free Thought Project]


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Andrew Cuomo rips Trump like never before: ‘This was the worst government blunder in modern history’

Published

on

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) on Monday accused President Donald Trump of presiding over "the worse government blunder in modern history."

At his daily COVID-19 briefing, Cuomo said that it was time for the president to hit the "reset button" on his handling of the pandemic.

"If we don't tell the truth on the reset, COVID will never end," the New York governor explained. "It will ricochet across the country. It will just bounce back and forth."

"This was a colossal blunder -- how COVID was handled by this federal government," he continued. "Shame on all of you. Six months, lives lost. Hit the reset button, yes."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump snaps at Jim Acosta for reminding him of coronavirus death toll: ‘Fake news CNN’

Published

on

President Donald Trump on Monday snapped at CNN's Jim Acosta when he reminded the president that the novel coronavirus so far has killed 155,000 Americans.

During a question-and-answer session with reporters, the president boasted that the United States had done an "amazing" job at handling the COVID-19 pandemic, at which point Acosta interrupted him and tried to ask him about the 155,000 people who have died from the disease in just five months.

"The U.S. has so many deaths," Acosta said.

"Hold it!" Trump replied.

"So many countries around the world..."

"Fake news CNN," he said. "Hold it. We have done a great job in this country. We haven't been given enough -- not me, Vice President Pence, the task force -- have not been given the kind of credit."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Top Trump advisor attacks Coronavirus Task Force’s Adm. Giroir – so he can push Hydroxychloroquine

Published

on

Trump White House Trade Advisor Peter Navarro is attacking the Coronavirus Task Force member in charge of COVID-19 testing. Admiral Brett Giroir over the weekend acknowledged hydroxychloroquine has been proven to be not effective in the fight against the coronavirus, echoing the position of the FDA and the CDC, Dr. Anthony Fauci, and Dr. Deborah Birx. Earlier Monday President Donald Trump attacked Dr. Deborah Birx.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image