Quantcast
Connect with us

Christians at Texans prayer vigil rip up atheists’ plea for ‘amicable solution’ to city park cross

Published

on

Christians host "prayer vigil" for cross in Port Neches RiverFront Park (KFDM/screen grab)

Atheists in Texas said that Christians holding a prayer vigil ripped up their letter asking for an “amicable solution” to complaints about a cross in a public city park.

In a letter to Port Neches city government last week, the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) argued that a Christian cross standing in RiverFront Park violated the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The Latin cross is the principal symbol of Christianity around the world, and display of the cross alone could not reasonably be taken to have any secular point,” FFRF attorney Rebecca Markert explained in the letter.

Over the weekend, a Facebook group calling themselves “Port Neches Christians and Advocates for The Cross at Port Neches Park” organized a Sunday prayer vigil in support of the cross.

Although the city’s legal team was reviewing FFRF’s letter, Mayor Glenn Johnson insisted to KFDM that the cross wasn’t going anywhere.

“I want to make it perfectly clear to the citizens of Port Neches specifically that this mayor and this city council will not fold, it will not bend, it will not roll over,” he remarked. “We’re going to fight this all the way. And if it goes to court then it goes to court. And we’ll fight it there as well.”

KBTV reported that a local atheists and agnostics group placed a letter and cookies at the foot of the cross asking for an “amicable solution” to the conflict. Following the prayer vigil, the group said that the letter had been ripped up.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We stand united to fight for what our beliefs are,” prayer vigil organizer Sheila Ackley explained. “They’re our beliefs, they are our constitutional right to do so. If we don’t stand for it, it’s no more.”

“And it won’t be long and they’re going to take our churches away,” Ackley added. “It’s not going to be long and they’re not going to allow us to have our Bibles. And I was placed on this Earth by God to fight for him, and over my dead body.”

Watch the video report from KDFM.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

WATCH: Trump supporters yell ‘white power’ as 2020 convoy speeds through college town

Published

on

Supporters of President Donald Trump were caught on video over the weekend shouting "white power" as they participated in a convoy to bolster the Republican ticket.

The incident was said to have occurred in Elon, a small college town in North Carolina.

According to the Triad City Beat, the convoy was organized by conservative activist Gary Williamson, who coordinated with the local Young Republicans chapter.

Watch the video below.

Video clip shows supporters in a Trump convoy passing through Elon, NC shouting "White power!" two separate times. ACTBAC founder Gary Williamson organized the convoy, which coordinated w/ a Alamance County Young Republicans event #Election2020 #ncpol pic.twitter.com/VQo8Hmgkc0

Continue Reading

Activism

‘A bridge too far’: Fox News analyst destroys Barr’s ‘absurd’ desire to charge rioters with sedition

Published

on

Fox News judicial analyst Andrew Napolitano, a former judge, on Thursday pushed back against Attorney General William Barr's call to charge violent protesters with sedition.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Barr told federal prosecutors that they could use sedition laws in cases where protests turn violent.

Napolitano explained during an appearance on Fox & Friends that charging protesters with sedition would be a "bridge too far."

"There's nothing wrong with aggressive prosecution," Napolitano said. "But this is not the case for sedition. I mean, the sedition laws -- which by the way, go back to 1798 -- the sedition laws were written for those who plan and plot to overthrow the government, either by violence or by some other means."

Continue Reading
 

Activism

‘It’s verboten?’ Newt Gingrich cries out after Fox News cuts him off for blaming violence on George Soros

Published

on

A Fox News panel shut down former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA) on Wednesday after he tried to blame George Soros for violent protests in America.

Gingrich brought up the liberal billionaire's name during a discussion about the cost of violence linked to anti-police protests.

"Look, the number one problem in almost all these cities is George Soros-elected, left-wing, anti-police, pro-criminal district attorneys who refuse to keep people locked up," Gingrich opined. "Progressive district attorney are anti-police, pro-criminal and overwhelmingly elected with George Soros' money and they are a major cause of the violence we're seeing because they keep putting the violent criminals back on the streets."

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE