Quantcast
Connect with us

Company behind Keystone XL sues Obama in attempt to revive pipeline

Published

on

People demonstrate against the proposed Keystone XL pipeline on Nov. 19, 2013 in Washington (AFP)

TransCanada launches two challenges as it argues president violated NAFTA, saying it is seeking to recover $15bn spent in push for pipeline’s approval

The company behind the rejected Keystone XL pipeline fired off two legal challenges on Wednesday, accusing Barack Obama of overstepping his authority and violating the North American free trade agreement (NAFTA).

ADVERTISEMENT

TransCanada Corporation said it was looking to recover an estimated $15 billions it spent over many years trying to win approval for the pipeline before Obama rejected the project last November.

“TransCanada asserts the US administration’s decision to deny a presidential permit for the Keystone XL pipeline was arbitrary and unjustified,” the company said in a release.

The twin legal challenges — a lawsuit filed in a federal court in Texas on Wednesday and notice of intent to sue under provisions of the NAFTA treaty — threaten to revive the longest-running environmental and political dispute of Obama’s administration.

It was far from clear, however, whether the suits would get the pipeline built, given record low oil prices and the election of a new government in Canada which is trying to set a more climate-friendly policy.

The company in a statement acknowledged the US had never lost a NAFTA lawsuit.

ADVERTISEMENT

The US and Canada had hoped to open a new chapter on Keystone and climate change policy, with Justin Trudeau, the Canadian prime minister, due to visit the White House on 10 March.

Trudeau, though a supporter of Keystone, had promised a sharp break with the pro-oil policies of his conservative predecessor, Stephen Harper.

At the Paris climate negotiations last month, both countries teamed up in a “high ambition coalition” pressing for stricter temperature limits.

ADVERTISEMENT

With oil prices falling to an 11-year low of $35 a barrel on Wednesday, many experts believe the Keystone XL project may no longer be economically viable.

The pipeline was designed to pump crude from the tar sands of Alberta across the US to refineries on the Texas Gulf Coast – but spent years in limbo after running into strong opposition from climate campaigners and Nebraska ranchers.

ADVERTISEMENT

At the same time, Keystone XL became a symbol for Republicans in Congress of Obama’s willingness to resort to executive power to move his agenda forward.

TransCanada said in a statement that it had had every expectation that the project would be approved during the permitting process – and alleged that Obama’s rejection was swayed by politics, not the merits of the pipeline.

“The denial reflected an unprecedented exercise of presidential power and intruded on Congress’s power under the Constitution to regulate interstate and international commerce,” TransCanada said.

ADVERTISEMENT

There was no immediate comment from the White House or State Department.

John Hoeven, the Republican senator from North Dakota who brought a bill to wrest the decision over Keystone out of Obama’s hands, said the president had ignored public opinion, and that Americans would be left footing the bill.

“The American taxpayer is now on the hook for potentially billions of dollars in fines and legal costs,” he said in a statement. “The president denied the Keystone XL pipeline permit, even though Congress approved it on a bipartisan basis.”

But Bill McKibben, the founder of 350.org, which led the protests, predicted TransCanada was unlikely to be successful.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This isn’t going to get the pipeline built,” he said. “The idea that some trade agreement should force us to overheat the planet’s atmosphere is, quite simply, insane.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Trump lies about the election being ‘rigged’ — but says he will leave the White House

Published

on

President Donald Trump said Thursday that he would leave the White House if Joe Biden is officially confirmed the winner of the US election, making a further concession of defeat even as he railed against the "rigged" vote.

Trump has made an unprecedented attempt to defy the results of the election by refusing to concede, spreading wild theories about stolen ballots and launching baseless legal challenges that have been thrown out by courts across the country.

Answering his first questions from reporters since the November 3 vote, the president moved closer to accepting that he would serve only one term in office before Biden is inaugurated on January 20.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Idaho columnist offers intriguing theories for the ‘anti-mask mandate mania’ from Republicans

Published

on

Masks that cover the mouth and nose have proven to be one of the most effective ways of containing the COVID-19 pandemic.

But the politicization of the issue continues to be a major Republican concern.

"Idaho Senate Republicans are setting up their agenda for the upcoming 2021 legislative session. As reported in the Post Register, one of their top priorities is to 'pursue measures in January to limit the governor’s emergency powers.' The immediate reason for this, of course, is Gov. Little’s anti-coronavirus measures," columnist Mike Murphy wrote in the Idaho State Journal.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Jake Tapper has a hard truth for Trump after Thanksgiving outburst inside the White House

Published

on

CNN anchor Jake Tapper threw shade at Donald Trump on Thanksgiving after the president had a meltdown at a reporter while answering questions for the first time since President-elect Joe Biden won the 2020 presidential election.

Trump brought up why has refused to concede to Biden during a teleconference address to U.S. troops in the Middle East. The president said he was mentally unable to concede.

"I can't say that at all," Trump said.

Continue Reading