An Ohio prosecutor has rebuffed a request by the Cleveland branch of the NAACP for the release of grand jury testimony in the police shooting death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice, saying it would put those on the jury at risk of threats.
In response, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People’s Vice President James Hardiman said Thursday the group was disappointed by the decision and would file a motion with the judge who presided over the grand jury to release the testimony.
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty said in a statement late Wednesday the NAACP were taking issue with the grand jury secrecy only because the group disagreed with the decision not to charge the officers involved in the November 2014 shooting.
The NAACP had sent a letter to McGinty’s office earlier on Wednesday requesting that the grand jury testimony be made public in a case that was one of several nationwide that has fueled scrutiny and outrage over the use of deadly force by police against minorities. Rice was black and the officers involved are white.
“Grand jury secrecy is designed to allow grand jurors and witnesses to perform their legal duties without fear of retaliation or recrimination,” McGinty said, and releasing the testimony would set a “dangerous precedent” and violate the law.
“To subject the grand jury to the hate mail and death threats this case has generated would be unwise and unfair,” he added.
McGinty said his office has been more open on investigations of police shootings, but written investigative reports issued to the public on such incidents are separate from grand jury proceedings.
“The prosecutor said the grand jury is supposed to be secret but not all of it was,” NAACP’s Hardiman said. “He chose the bits and pieces to release to the public and we think he should now release all the bits and pieces.”
McGinty has been criticized for the release of multiple reports before the grand jury decision that found the shooting “reasonable.” A coalition of Cleveland African-American leaders has called for his ouster in upcoming elections in November.
A grand jury last month declined to bring criminal charges against officers Timothy Loehmann and Frank Garmback.
Loehmann shot 12-year-old Rice within seconds of arriving at the park. Rice died the following day and an investigation revealed that a gun he was seen holding was a replica that shoots plastic pellets.
The police department announced an administrative review after the grand jury decision to determine whether the officers or others should be disciplined.
(Reporting by Kim Palmer; Editing by Ben Klayman and Bernadette Baum)
Trump calls Minneapolis protesters ‘thugs’ — and threatens military action
President Donald Trump blasted protesters in Minnesota outraged over the killing of George Floyd.
“ I can’t stand back & watch this happen to a great American City, Minneapolis,” Trump tweeted after midnight.
“A total lack of leadership. Either the very weak Radical Left Mayor, Jacob Frey, get his act together and bring the City under control, or I will send in the National Guard & get the job done right,” he wrote, even though the National Guard was already deployed.
“ These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts,” he threatened.
A world redrawn: Pop can keep us together, says star DJ David Guetta
New York (AFP) - Pandemic confinement has electronic dance music titan David Guetta looking inward, and he said he's emerging "extremely inspired" ahead of a New York benefit set for this weekend.A key EDM architect who's heavily influenced the pop of recent decades, the 52-year-old Grammy-winning French DJ will perform a livestreamed set from New York for COVID-19 relief, starting Saturday after the nightly clap for health workers.The exact location remains secret.But Guetta told AFP he's remixing a version of the famed "Empire State of Mind" hit, from rapper Jay-Z and Alicia Keys, for the sh... (more…)
J.K. Rowling and ‘The Ickabog’: What to know about the new, not-‘Harry Potter’-story that kids are invited to illustrate
The publication of a new J.K. Rowling story has often been accompanied by lines of robed children, parents, and wizard wannabes waiting outside bookshops to pluck the first volumes from the piles at the stroke of midnight.That won’t be happening, or not at least until late fall, for “The Ickabog,” a children’s story that the “Harry Potter” author began releasing free online Tuesday to entertain kids in lockdown. Her plan is to continue to publish “a chapter (or two, or three) every weekday” until July 10.“I think ‘The Ickabog’ lends itself well to serialisation because it was written as a read... (more…)