Commission rejected claim that the officer shot Brendon Glenn because he grabbed a pistol, putting more pressure on district attorney to charge the officer
The Los Angeles police department’s civilian oversight board has called the shooting of a homeless man in Venice last year unjustified, increasing pressure on prosecutors to charge the officer.
The police commission rejected a claim by officer Clifford Proctor that he shot Brendon Glenn, a boardwalk skateboarder, because Glenn had grabbed his partner’s holster, according to records made public on Tuesday.
Video from a bar’s security camera contradicted Proctor’s version and prompted the commission – and LAPD chief Charlie Beck – to conclude that the officer violated department policy.
The revelation put more pressure on LA county district attorney Jackie Lacey, who is still reviewing the case, to charge Proctor. Prosecutors in LA have not charged a law enforcement officer with an on-duty shooting in 15 years.
The killing on 5 May 2015 triggered protests in Venice and intensified scrutiny of city police police amid a sharp spike in fatal shootings.
Beck’s report to the commission, which was made public on Tuesday, gave fresh details about the incident on the boardwalk, a bohemian mecca where homeless people mingle with tourists.
Proctor and his partner responded shortly before midnight to a complaint about a homeless man harassing customers outside the Bank of Venice restaurant on Windward avenue.
According to the officers, Glenn, 29, who is black, showed signs of intoxication, threatened to unleash his dog on them and shouted insults, including a racial epithet. Proctor is also black.
Glenn obeyed their order to leave the spot but swiftly got into an altercation with a bouncer at the Townhouse bar, prompting the officers to detain him, which led to a struggle that ended with the shooting.
According to the report released on Tuesday, Proctor told investigators Glenn reached for his partner’s holster as they struggled on the ground. “Everything was happening so fast,” Proctor said. “And everybody’s hands were flailing around.”
He shot Glenn in the back but Glenn did not seem to react. Proctor said he then had “a little tunnel vision” and fired a second shot. “I don’t really know where his hands were but he is still holding on.”
Proctor told investigators: “What was going through my mind when I fired the second shot was I honestly believed that this guy was on something strong, like some kind of drug. And the first round did absolutely nothing to affect him. He didn’t move.”
However, according to the report, video from the Townhouse bar, which has not been made public, contradicted Proctor’s version. “At no time during the incident can Glen’s hand be observed on or near any portion of (the) holster,” said the LAPD chief’s report. It also said that Proctor’s partner “did not feel any jerking movements” on the holster nor see Glenn reaching for his gun.
As protests flared in Venice, and scrutiny intensified over a spike in LAPD killings, Beck expressed his unease over the killing just a day after it happened: he called a press conference and said surveillance footage did not show the extraordinary circumstances expected when an officer shot an unarmed citizen. He followed up in January by recommending charges against Proctor, believed to be the first time an LAPD chief has made such a call publicly.
It represented a stark contrast with the 1990s when LAPD chiefs stuck by officers involved in the beating of Rodney King and other controversial incidents, triggering riots. The creation of a civilian oversight board was one of several reforms which has improved the department’s reputation.
The commission unanimously sided with Beck that Proctor had violated department policy.
‘Outrageous and criminal behavior’: Internet blows up at graphic video of Buffalo Police pushing over an elderly man
On Thursday, footage emerged of police in Buffalo, New York pushing an elderly man to the ground, and refusing to help him as he lay bleeding profusely from a head injury.
The footage triggered immediate outrage on social media.
Horrible. I pray he’s ok. https://t.co/wL2gcNeAIT
— Joe Walsh (@WalshFreedom) June 5, 2020
WATCH: Protester bled from his ear after being shoved by police — cops say he ‘tripped’
SHocking video from Buffalo, New York was posted online on Thursday after a large group of police confronted a lone protester -- and then violently shoved him.
"Shortly after Buffalo’s curfew started, city police and State Police swept through the area of Niagara Square directly in front of City Hall to clear the area where a protest was finishing. An unidentified, older man was hit shoved by two officers in the line. The man lost his balance and fell to the pavement, audibly hitting his head with blood running out from under his head," WBFO-TV reports.
Trump aides are compiling candidates to replace Mark Esper if Trump decides to fire him: report
On Thursday, Politico reported that although Defense Secretary Mark Esper's job appears safe for now, aides to President Donald Trump are compiling a list of potential nominees to replace him if the president changes his mind and decides to fire him.
"An administration official and two people close to the White House say staffers in recent days have pulled together a list of possible candidates for Defense secretary if Trump does choose to fire Esper," reported Lara Seligman, Daniel Lippman, and Meridith McGraw. "At the top of that list is Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, who was Esper’s No. 2 before taking the Army job last summer, the people said. Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), an outspoken Trump ally who has previously been considered for the position, is also in the mix, according to one of the people."