Quantcast
Connect with us

Arizona man trying to be a ‘hero’ charged after opening fire on shoplifting suspects on busy street

Published

on

An Arizona man who was trying to be a “good guy with a gun” was arrested on multiple charges two months after he opened fire on shoplifting suspects.

John Haag was at a Walgreens in March when he spotted someone running from the store, and he asked employees if they’d been robbed, reported KNXV-TV.

The employees told Haag they had been robbed, and the chase was on.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 25-year-old Haag ran from the store, jumped into his vehicle and pursued a U-Haul cargo van driven by the suspects, police said.

A witness recorded video of the pursuit on a busy Chandler street, and that video shows Haag pull alongside the cargo van, roll down his window, point a gun at the suspects and open fire.

The theft suspects did a sudden U-turn into oncoming traffic to get away from the gunshots.

Haag bragged on his Facebook page later that day that he had witnessed a robbery — but “this time, I had my gun … true story.”

Police investigating the incident determined that Haag was not justified in using deadly force against misdemeanor shoplifting suspects, and he was arrested this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Haag told police he chased the suspects and opened fire because he wanted to be a “hero,” but he later admitted that trying to shoot out the cargo van’s tire on a crowded roadway was “stupid.”

“I feel I had good intentions,” Haag said. “I meant the best — I meant to disable the vehicle.”

He told the TV station that not enough people take action against criminal suspects.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Most people are scared,” he said. “Tons of people nowadays are in fear of what will happen to them, and that’s not cool. That’s why we have more crime.”

The crime rate in Arizona has actually dropped in recent years, although not quite as sharply as the national rate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Haag was charged with aggravated assault, drive-by shooting and unlawful discharge of a firearm.

Kevin Peevey, who witnessed the shooting while driving with his daughter, said the incident was terrifying.

“You aren’t used to seeing someone pull a gun and start waving it out the window,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Peevey said he supports gun rights, but he said Haag’s actions were irresponsible and dangerous.

“People like that give gun owners a bad name,” he said. “I’m pro-gun, but use it for safety. You don’t pull it out in a very busy intersection, let alone fire it.”

Watch this video report posted online by KNXV-TV:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Trumpster’ berated by store workers for wearing mask over his eyes — he responds by calling them ‘sheep’

Published

on

A man in Utah this week was caught on camera wearing a face mask over his eyes at a local grocery store, only to get berated by several angry employees who eventually had him removed.

Local news station Fox 13 Now reports that that the man walked into a Smith's grocery store in Cedar City, Utah wearing a mask over his eyes in an act of defiance of the store's face mask policy.

The video shows employees walking up to the man and asking him why he wasn't following signs that said all customers have to wear masks while shopping.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Hospitals ‘scrambling’ to cope with Trump administration’s abrupt change

Published

on

In a memo sent by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services on July 10, hospitals in the United States were ordered to start reporting COVID-19 patient information to a new centralized database set up by President Donald Trump’s administration. And now, according to the New York Times, 34 current and former members of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee are warning that the requirement is burdensome for hospitals and will have “serious consequences on data integrity.”

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Pompeo threatens Russia with ‘enormous price to pay’ for bounties while Trump still denies them

Published

on

President Donald Trump still denies that Russia issued bounties on the heads of American soldiers in Afghanistan, but his Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, didn't get the memo.

Speaking to Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Pompeo even went so far as to issue a threat to the Trump ally.

“What we’ve said is this: If the Russians are offering money to kill Americans or, for that matter, other Westerners as well, there will be an enormous price to pay,” said Pompeo, as captured by the Washington Post. “That’s what I shared with Foreign Minister [Sergey] Lavrov. I know our military has talked to their senior leaders as well. We won’t brook that; we won’t tolerate that.”

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image