Quantcast
Connect with us

Former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson says she was fired for refusing to have sex with Roger Ailes

Published

on

Longtime Fox News personality Gretchen Carlson has filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against her former boss, CEO Roger Ailes.

UPDATE: Gretchen Carlson’s lawyers contacted by 10 women after Roger Ailes suit

Carlson, who just announced that she was no longer working for Fox News on her Facebook page, alleges that she was fired because she rebuffed Ailes’s sexual advances. Carlson, who had spent 11 years at Fox News, alleges that her firing from Fox was a retaliatory move after she not only refused to have sex with Ailes, but also tried to challenge what she claims was unfair treatment from her male colleagues.

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED: Maybe Trump wasn’t full of sh*t about having ‘bombs’ to use against Roger Ailes and Fox News

Among other things, Carlson alleges that Ailes told her last September that “I think you and I should have had a sexual relationship a long time ago.” Carlson also claims that Ailes instructed her to turn around on multiple occasions so he could ogle her posterior, while also requesting that she wear outfits that showed off her figure.

Ailes also lamented to Carlson that his marriage was “boring” and openly fantasized about being stranded on a desert island with her, according to the lawsuit, which was filed on Wednesday in New Jersey.

Carlson alleges that Ailes “sabotaged her career because she refused his sexual advances and complained about severe and pervasive harassment.”

Carlson’s attorney, Nancy Erika Smith, told CNN that Ailes’ sexual harassment was “very consistent and very pervasive.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are very confident in our evidence,” Smith added. “We have very powerful evidence. But we don’t want to discuss what the evidence is outside of the courtroom.”

The attorney indicated that other women could testify against Ailes.

VIDEOS: Was Gretchen Carlson crying out for help for years before suing Fox boss for sex harassment?

ADVERTISEMENT

Ailes isn’t the only major figure at Fox News named in the suit, either: Carlson also alleges that Fox & Friends co-host Steve Doocy regularly demeaned her in the workplace by “mocking her during commercial breaks, shunning her off air, refusing to engage with her on air, belittling her contributions to the show.” She claims Doocy attempted “to put her in her place by refusing to accept and treat her as an intelligent and insightful female journalist rather than a blond female prop.”

“I have strived to empower women and girls throughout my entire career,” Carlson said in a prepared statement. “Although this was a difficult step to take, I had to stand up for myself and speak out for all women and the next generation of women in the workplace.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Ailes has denied the accusations.

“Gretchen Carlson’s allegations are false,” Ailes said in a statement. “This is a retaliatory suit for the network’s decision not to renew her contract, which was due to the fact that her disappointingly low ratings were dragging down the afternoon lineup. When Fox News did not commence any negotiations to renew her contract, Ms. Carlson became aware that her career with the network was likely over and conveniently began to pursue a lawsuit. Ironically, FOX News provided her with more on-air opportunities over her 11 year tenure than any other employer in the industry, for which she thanked me in her recent book. This defamatory lawsuit is not only offensive, it is wholly without merit and will be defended vigorously.”

You can read the full lawsuit below:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump’s much-hyped Walmart and CVS coronavirus testing centers have been a massive flop

Published

on

During a press conference last month, President Donald Trump brought several corporate bigwigs with him to announce that major retailers Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, and Target would all be making their parking lots available to set up drive-through COVID-19 testing centers.

"The goal is for individuals to be able to drive up and be swabbed without having to leave your car," the president said.

It's been nearly three weeks since that announcement, however, and CNN reports that companies have only set up five of these testing centers in the United States so far -- and that none of them are available to the general public.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump ripped by former Ted Cruz aide for his ‘firehose of falsehoods’ as we ‘tally the sick and the dead’

Published

on

In a column for the conservative Bulwark, a former speechwriter and aide to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) expressed her disgust with Donald Trump for his continuing lying about the seriousness of the coronavirus pandemic while at the same time bragging about the TV ratings for his daily press conferences.

According to Amanda Carpenter, who also doubles as a conservative commentator on CNN, she has had it with his "firehose of falsehoods' " and "avalanche of lies" while the country is reeling from a health crisis that has trapped almost 80 percent of the populace in their homes.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘Fox News is eating her brain’: Columnist describes drastic measures to get her mom to take COVID-19 seriously

Published

on

New York Times columnist Kara Swisher had an incredibly hard time getting her mother to take the threat of COVID-19 seriously -- and she says that Fox News is primarily to blame.

In her latest column, Swisher writes that her mother for the past few weeks largely kept going about her daily life as though there weren't a deadly pandemic raging across the country. Swisher became so concerned for her mother's safety that she frantically called and texted her to the point where her mother told her to knock it off.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image