A grand jury will hear evidence of whether Chicago police officers lied to justify the 2014 shooting death of a black teenager by a white officer, local media reported on Monday.
Patricia Brown Holmes, a special prosecutor appointed by Cook County Judge LeRoy Martin Jr. in July, motioned for a grand jury on Monday after looking at preliminary information. She did this so that “people would know there was fairness” in the process, she told Reuters.
Martin accepted the motion and said he would convene a special grand jury to hear evidence, according to the Chicago Tribune. Martin could not be reached for comment.
The October 2014 killing of Laquan McDonald, 17, who was shot 16 times by officer Jason Van Dyke, brought intense national scrutiny of Chicago’s police force.
A police video of the shooting released more than a year later made headlines across the country and prompted calls for Mayor Rahm Emanuel to resign. The video footage shows Van Dyke continued to fire after McDonald had fallen to the ground.
Van Dyke is facing charges of first-degree murder and is on unpaid leave. He has pleaded not guilty.
The police reports on the shooting conflicted with the video footage, sparking accusations that Van Dyke’s fellow officers were trying to cover up an unjustified shooting.
Holmes is probing whether officers who witnessed the shooting described it in a way that would cover up misconduct, when they were interviewed after the incident.
Police officers are justified in using lethal force if they were in reasonable fear that someone was threatening grievous bodily harm to themselves or another person.
Last month the chief of Chicago’s police department recommended that five officers, including Van Dyke, be fired over their role in the shooting.
According to charges released last month, all are accused of making false or inaccurate statements about the circumstances surrounding McDonald’s death.
Former aide to Israeli prime minister smacks Trump upside the head for dragging Israel into his racism mess
In a column for Bloomberg, a former senior aide to Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin said his country has no interest in being associated with Donald Trump's racist meltdown over four Democratic lawmakers and advised the president to leave them out it.
Responding to Trump's tweets that accused the four Democrats, all women of color, of not only hating America but also Israel, Zev Chafets -- who was the founding managing editor of the Jerusalem Report Magazine -- claimed Trump can rest at ease because they don't need his help.
Trump flings racist trash because Fox News has warped his perception of reality: Ex-White House official
President Donald Trump lobbed racist abuse at four Democratic congresswomen over the weekend -- and his advisers say his addiction to Fox News is at least partially to blame.
The president's advisers have been trying to convince him that outrageous tweets and comments do way more harm than good -- his lowest poll numbers came after his remarks about Charlottesville and after slandering "sh*thole" countries -- but they said Trump has a skewed perception about his popularity with minority voters, reported Politico.
Obama’s DOJ authorized investigation of cops connected to death of Eric Garner – Trump’s DOJ just refused to prosecute
The Trump Dept. of Justice will not bring charges against any of the New York City Police Dept. officers involved in the 2014 death of Eric Garner, despite the Obama Dept. of Justice having authorized an investigation into the 43-year-old Black man's death.
The Washington Post Tuesday morning broke the story, noting that the DOJ had yet to tell Garner's family. They plan to meet with the family this morning, and hold a news conference at 11 AM.