Appearing on ABC’s This Week, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was exceedingly blunt when asked about GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump using his campaign rallies to make ugly and personal attacks on women who have accused him of sexually assaulting them.
Starting in the middle of the last week, multiple women have come forward saying Trump forced himself on them, kissing them against their will or groping them.
In a series of rallies beginning Friday, Trump has called his accusers “crazy women” and “liars” who are working in tandem with media to undermine his shot at the White House. Additionally, Trump has suggested that the women weren’t attractive enough for him to consider groping.
In an interview with ABC’s Martha Raddatz, Gingrich blamed Trump’s poor poll numbers on the media’s obsession with the Access Hollywood video where Trump boasted he liked to grab women”by the p*ssy” — saying Trump would be “15 points” ahead of Clinton without the fallout — and stated the press should be giving equal or more time to the release of DNC emails by Wikileaks.
Pointing to the women who have come forward to accuse Trump of attacking them, Raddatz shared a video of Trump ranting about one of them at a rally on Saturday.
“There has been a lot of attention on that tape, there has been a lot of attention with what Mr. Trump has said since about the women accusing him of assault,” Raddatz told Gingrich before sharing the tape of Trump discussing one of the women by smugly stating, “Believe me, she would not be my first choice, that I can tell you. You don’t know, that would not be my first choice.”
“He appears to be attacking these women’s looks,” Raddatz told the Trump backer who was shaking his head. “Is that appropriate?”
“No that’s stupid,” Gingrich bluntly stated.
“Is that why the coverage continues?” a smiling Raddatz pressed him.
“No the coverage continues because you guys want it to continue,” Gingrich shot back.
Watch the video below via ABC: