Fresh off of eight years of stoking fear of America’s first black president in order to encourage conservatives to heavily arm themselves, avid supporters of both gun manufacturers and the Second Amendment have set their sights on a new market: liberals who fear President-elect Donald Trump.
Writing at Monster Hunter Nation, libertarian-leaning Republican Larry Correia is encouraging liberals to buy guns.
Beginning with the caveat, “I’m a libertarian leaning Republican and gun expert, who thinks you are wrong about a lot of stuff, but I’m not writing this to gloat about your loss,” Correia states that he only trying to be helpful.
“Before I get into the details about how to enjoy your newly discovered 2nd Amendment rights, let me just say that I get you’re sad, angry, bitter, and fearful,” he wrote. “But just like my people over the last few elections, you’ll get over it. The really hyperbolic freak outs about ‘Literally Hitler’ make you sound just like the Alex Jones crowd worried that Obama was going to herd Christians into FEMA camps last time.”
Having said that, Corriea mocked the multiple reports of attacks and vandalism by supporters of Trump writing, “Many of you have been sharing every second hand account, rumor, and urban legend about some random doofus in Somnambulant, Wisconsin or Bumfight, Louisiana, shouting an ethnic slur or spray painting a swastika on a wall. Newsflash, in a country with a third of a billion people, some percentage of them are going to be assholes.”
“Whether you are being attacked because some jerk doesn’t like your head scarf and you voted for Hillary, or getting pulled out of your car and beaten because the local hooliganry thinks you voted for Trump, or some dude with no coherent political philosophy beyond the voices in his head told him to murder you and rape your dog, it doesn’t matte,” he add. “There are evil people in the world, and they will hurt you simply because it amuses them.”
Using Correia’s essay as a jumping off point, Bearing Arms recommends multiple weapons without noting a few salient facts.
According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence:
- On average, 31 Americans are murdered with guns every day and 151 are treated for a gun assault in an emergency room.
- The U.S. firearm homicide rate is 20 times higher than the combined rates of 22 countries that are our peers in wealth and population.
- A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used to kill or injure in a domestic homicide, suicide, or unintentional shooting than to be used in self-defense
- Medical treatment, criminal justice proceedings, new security precautions, and reductions in quality of life are estimated to cost U.S. citizens $100 billion annually.
- Youth (ages 0 to 19) in the most rural U.S. counties are as likely to die from a gunshot as those living in the most urban counties. Rural children die of more gun suicides and unintentional shooting deaths. Urban children die more often of gun homicides
- An average of seven children and teens under the age of 20 are killed by guns every day.