In the wake of the election of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, many Americans are -- as former Obama administration official Van Jones noted -- feeling shocked, alarmed and deeply afraid.
President-elect Trump spent his campaign stoking resentment and mainstreaming white nationalism. Many Muslims, immigrants, women, black and LGBT Americans all woke up on Wednesday wondering what the future has in store.
A lot of people are struggling, some may be contemplating taking drugs and alcohol to numb the despair or worse, contemplating self-harm or suicide.
On Twitter Tuesday night, one Iowa Democrat tweeted a message of support that said, "If you are tempted to end your sobriety, call your sponsor. If you feel like hurting yourself, call someone you trust. Keep it together."
Author Nyasha Junior said, "If you have it in you, please check on your people. Some folks are in hostile work environments even on a good day. Today may be esp rough."
If you have it in you, please check on your people. Some folks are in hostile work environments even on a good day. Today may be esp rough.— Nyasha Junior, Ph.D. (@Nyasha Junior, Ph.D.)1478689745.0
We've compiled a list of mental health resources for you or anyone you know who may be in need of help today.
The MentalHealthMouse Tumblr has a long list of 800-numbers and hotlines for depression, anxiety, drug and alcohol abuse and domestic violence:
- Suicide Hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE (2433) – Can use in US, U.K., Canada and Singapore
- Suicide Crisis Line: 1-800-999-9999
- National Suicide Prevention Helpline: 1-800-273-TALK (8245)
- National Adolescent Suicide Helpline: 1-800-621-4000
- Postpartum Depression: 1-800-PPD-MOMS
- NDMDA Depression Hotline – Support Group: 1-800-826-3632
- Veterans: 1-877-VET2VET
- Crisis Help Line – For Any Kind of Crisis: 1-800-233-4357
- Suicide & Depression Crisis Line – Covenant House: 1-800-999-9999
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide: (UK only) 0844-561-6855
- Beyondblue info line: (Australia only) 1300-22-4636
- 24/7 Crisis Line:(Canada only) 905-522-1477
- Lifeline Australia: 13-11-14
- Teléfono de la Esperanza (Spain only) 902 500 002 / 91 459 00 50
- National Child Abuse Helpline: 1-800-422-4453
- National Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline (TDD): 1-800-787-32324
- Center for the Prevention of School Violence: 1-800-299-6504
- Child Abuse Helpline: 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453)
- Domestic Violence Helpline: 1-800-548-2722
- Healing Woman Foundation (Abuse): 1-800-477-4111
- Child Abuse Hotline Support & Information: 1-800-792-5200
- Women’s Aid National Domestic Violence Helpline: (UK Only) 0345 023 468
- Sexual Abuse Centre: (UK Only) 0117 935 1707
- Sexual Assault Support (24/7, English & Spanish): 1-800-223-5001
- Domestic & Teen Dating Violence (English & Spanish: 1-800-992-2600
- Relationships Australia: 1300-364-277
Alcohol & Drug Abuse:
- National Association for Children of Alcoholics: 1-888-55-4COAS (1-888-554-2627)
- National Drug Abuse: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
- Al-Anon/Alateen Hope & Help for young people who are the relatives & friends of a problem drinker): 1-800-344-2666
- Alcohol/Drug Abuse Hotline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
- Be Sober Hotline: 1-800-BE-SOBER (1-800-237-6237)
- Cocaine Help Line: 1-800-COCAINE (1-800-262-2463)
- 24 Hour Cocaine Support Line: 1-800-992-9239
- Ecstasy Addiction: 1-800-468-6933
- Marijuana Anonymous: 1-800-766-6779
Youth & Teen Hotlines:
- National Youth Crisis Support: 1-800-448-4663
- Youth America Hotline: 1-877-YOUTHLINE (1-877-968-8454)
- Covenant House Nine-Line (Teens): 1-800-999-9999
- Boys Town National: 1-800-448-3000
- Teen Helpline: 1-800-400-0900
- TeenLine: 1-800-522-8336
- Youth Crisis Support: 1-800-448-4663 or 1-800-422-0009
- Runaway Support (All Calls are Confidential): 800-231-694
- National Runaway Hotline: (US only) 1800-231-6946
- Child Helpline: (UK Only) 0800-111
- Kids Helpline: (Australia) 1800-55-1800
- Youth to Youth: (UK only) 020-8896-3675
- Kids Help Phone Canada: 1800-688-6868
- National Youth Crisis Hotline:(US only) 800-442-442-4673
- Pregnancy Support: 1-800-4-OPTIONS (1-800-467-8466)
- Pregnancy National Helpline: 1-800-356-5761
- Young Pregnant Support: 1-800 550-4900
Gay and Lesbian Hotlines:
- The Trevor Helpline (For homosexuality questions or problems): 1-800-850-8078
- Gay & Lesbian National Support: 1-888-THE-GLNH (1-888-843-4564)
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) Youth Support Line: 1-800-850-8078
- Lesbian & Gay Switchboard: (UK Only) 0121 622 6589
- Lothian Gay & Lesbian Switchboard – Scotland: (Scotland Only) 0131 556 4049
- Self-Injury Support: 1-800-DONT CUT (1-800-366-8288) (www.selfinjury.com)
- Eating Disorders Awareness and Prevention: 1-800-931-2237 (Hours: 8am-noon daily, PST)
- Eating Disorders Center: 1-888-236-1188
- Help Finding a Therapist: 1-800-THERAPIST (1-800-843-7274)
- Panic Disorder Information and Support: 1-800-64-PANIC (1-800-647-2642)
- TalkZone (Peer Counselors): 1-800-475-TALK (1-800-475-2855)
- Parental Stress Hotline: 1-800-632-8188
- Parent Help Line (Australia only): 1300-364-100
- National AIDS Helpline: (UK Only) 0800 567 123
- Mensline Australia: 1300-789-978
- Beat - ED hotline: Helpline 0345 634 1414 Youthline 0345 634 7650 (UK only)
TransLifeline provides toll-free help for transgender and non-binarily gendered people at: 877-565-8860
Sex abuse and assault survivors can connect to the Rape and Incest survivors' National Network (RAINN) at 800-656-HOPE or at Rainn.org.
People who have anxiety or struggle with talking on the phone can use a text-based app called ImAlive.org to check in with mental health experts and receive help via text message.
If you are in a hostile work environment, you can contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) at 1-800-669-4000 or visit their web page.
PsychologyToday.com has a portal where web users can enter their zip code or city name and get connected to counselors and therapists in their area.
The weeks and months ahead will be difficult for many people. It's up to us to buoy each other up and help each other as much as possible. If someone you know is struggling, please reach out. If you are struggling, you are not alone. Help is available and waiting for you.