Quantcast
Connect with us

WATCH: Private prisons CEO salivates over ‘more detention capacity on the border’ under Trump

Published

on

Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) CEO Damon Hininger said this week that he expects profits to soar under the new president’s immigration policy.

Although CCA’s stock dipped over the summer after the Justice Department announced plans to phase out the use of private prisons, Donald Trump’s win caused the company’s share price to skyrocket 43 percent on election day alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a Tuesday interview with CNBC, Hininger said that CCA, which recently began rebranding itself as CoreCivic, saw a several opportunities in the first year of Trump’s presidency, including a need for increased detention capacity for the housing of undocumented immigrants.

“You guys profit if there’s more people in jail,” CNBC host Brian Sullivan noted. “And that’s not a way any company should be run. You have contracts and limits that say, well, you need to have 90 percent occupancy in a prison.”

Hininger argued that Sullivan’s charge was “baloney” because the company encourages inmates not to re-offend by offering education and vocational programs.

“We’re providing a great service!” the CEO insisted. “We’re making sure these individuals once they’re released, they can support themselves and their family and not come back into the criminal justice system. That’s great value to the government.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Hininger said that the company could “look forward to” a number of favorable circumstances in the next year under the new president.

“First of all, there’s immigration,” he explained. “If there is a need for more detention capacity on the border, we can provide that solution or if there’s a unique population that we need to help serve with ICE.”

Additionally, Hininger sees an upside in Trump’s promise to rebuild infrastructure, which he believes can be provided by the private prison industry.

ADVERTISEMENT

“A lot of discussion with the Trump administration about criminal justice reform,” he promised.

Watch the video below from CNBC, broadcast Dec. 20, 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Elections 2016

Intelligence official directly contradicts Trump administration’s excuses for suppressing whistleblower

Published

on

A top official in the intelligence community has disputed the factual basis for the Trump administration’s suppression of a whistleblower complaint believed to regard the potential misconduct of the president himself, a new letter released Thursday revealed.

The letter was made public by House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff (D-CA). He is locked into a fierce and potentially explosive dispute with an array of forces within the administration to obtain the complaint, which was made through proper channels by an intelligence official last month to the community’s inspector general. Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson determined that the complaint was “credible” and “urgent,” and subsequent reporting from the Washington Post found that it concerns a “promise” made by Trump in communication with a foreign leader.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Longtime GOP strategist explains why his party is getting crushed in the war of ideas

Published

on

Republican strategist Stuart Stevens on Wednesday warned the GOP that Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) might not be a pushover candidate against President Donald Trump in 2020.

Writing on Twitter, Stevens admitted that he had "no idea" if Warren would beat Trump next year, but he did say that "Trump and supporters are destroying [the] credibility of any center-right argument" thanks to Trump's "corrupt and unstable" governance.

When one of Stevens' followers said that Warren would not be able to fulfill her promises just by taxing the wealthy, he countered that this idea is still more popular than anything Republicans are championing.

Continue Reading
 

Elections 2016

Japan wants to dump Fukushima radioactive water into ocean

Published

on

Japan's top government spokesman slapped down the environment minister on Tuesday after he said there was "no other option" but to release radioactive water from the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant into the ocean.

"It is not true that we have decided on the disposal method," Chief Cabinet Minister Yoshihide Suga told reporters after Environment Minister Yoshiaki Harada's comments earlier in the day.

The operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), is storing more than one million tonnes of contaminated water in tanks at the site of Fukushima Daiichi Plant that was wrecked by the 2011 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image