Quantcast
Connect with us

‘It’s working out very nicely’: Trump insists in spite of ‘chaos’ that Muslim ban is going just fine

Published

on

As rights groups level numerous lawsuits against his administration and travelers are being stranded and detained all over the world, Pres. Donald Trump said on Saturday that his new executive orders regarding Muslims and immigrants are “working out very nicely.”

Reuters reported that Muslim around the world are “furious” over the executive orders and that the U.S. immigration system has been “plunged into chaos” by the orders, which are broadly worded and are being interpreted differently by different agencies and by different divisions within those agencies.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Immigration lawyers and advocates worked through the night trying to help stranded travelers find a way back home. Lawyers in New York sued to block the order, saying many people have already been unlawfully detained, including an Iraqi who worked for the U.S. Army in Iraq,” wrote Reuters’ Jeff Mason and Jonathan Allen.

The vagueness of the new rules led to travelers being stranded and rerouted as officials struggled to interpret and implement the new orders. Legal U.S. residents were detained at some airports who were in flight to the U.S. when the order was signed.

“Imagine being put back on a 12-hour flight and the trauma and craziness of this whole thing,” said immigration attorney Mana Yegani to Reuters. “These are people that are coming in legally. They have jobs here and they have vehicles here.”

Nonetheless, when reporters asked the new president how the new policies are being received, he said, “It’s not a Muslim ban, but we’re totally prepared. It’s working out very nicely. You see it at the airports, you see it all over. It’s working out very nicely and we’re gonna have a very, very strict ban and we’re going to have extreme vetting, which we should have had in this country for many years.”

Reuters said that the order places restrictions on anyone entering the U.S. from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen and extends to everyone currently holding a green card who are legal, permanent U.S. residents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Muslim leaders around the world denounced the Trump decision, including a statement from Iran that called the order an “open affront against the Muslim world and the Iranian nation.”

Watch the video, embedded below:


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

COVID-19

White House adds 20 percent increase to ‘best case’ projection of coronavirus deaths

Published

on

The White House is moving the goal posts once again. Instead of taking drastic action, like asking every state's governor to mandate a quarantine to reduce the spread of coronavirus, it is quietly upping its projected death toll, just one day after stunning Americans with a six-digit death rate.

On Sunday President Donald Trump told Americans he thinks if 100,000 Americans die from coronavirus he will have done "a very good job."

On Monday Dr. Deborah Birx announced the White House is projecting 100,000 to 200,000 deaths.

Tuesday evening, the number increased 20 percent.

Continue Reading

Elections 2016

Olympic athletes in ‘impossible position’ – Canada

Published

on

Canadian Olympic chiefs said Monday the health and safety of athletes had prompted the country's decision to withdraw its team from the Tokyo Olympics amid the coronavirus pandemic.

A day after Canada became the first team to announce its withdrawal from the July 24-August 9 Games, Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) chief David Shoemaker said athletes had been left in an "impossible position."

With public health authorities urging individuals to stay inside to curb the spread of COVID-19, athletes had been caught between a desire to heed health and safety advice while trying to minimize disruption to training programs.

Continue Reading
 

Elections 2016

Vietnamese women strive to clear war-era mines

Published

on

Inching across a field littered with Vietnam war-era bombs, Ngoc leads an all-women demining team clearing unexploded ordnance that has killed tens of thousands of people -- including her uncle.

"He died in an explosion. I was haunted by memories of him," Le Thi Bich Ngoc tells AFP as she oversees the controlled detonation of a cluster bomb found in a sealed-off site in central Quang Tri province.

More than 6.1 million hectares of land in Vietnam remain blanketed by unexploded munitions -- mainly dropped by US bombers -- decades after the war ended in 1975.

At least 40,000 Vietnamese have since died in related accidents. Victims are often farmers who accidentally trigger explosions, people salvaging scrap metal, or children who mistake bomblets for toys.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image