Quantcast
Connect with us

Tapper uses Spicer’s own words to nail Trump administration’s ironic objection to the word ‘ban’

Published

on

Jake Tapper cornered Sean Spicer on Monday over the White House Press Secretary’s insistence that Donald Trump’s immigration executive order is not a Muslim ban, using the president’s—and press secretary’s—own words against that administration talking point.

“Chaos has of course rippled from Washington D.C. to airports and foreign capitols around the world,” Tapper said, referring to the Trump Administration’s decision to fire acting Attorney General Sally Yates over her refusal to defend the executive order. “Today, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer was complaining the members of the media are unfairly using the term ‘ban’ to describe the president’s action.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Tapper then showed a clip of Spicer’s press conference, wherein the press secretary scolded the media for using the word “ban.”

“Okay, but I could have sworn I heard somebody in the Trump Administration using the term ban before—was it possibly President Trump on Twitter?” Tapper asked coyly, displaying this tweet on the screen:

Referring to Spicer’s argument that the president is “using the term that the media’s using,” Tapper noted, “It seems odd though, if you object to the term you shouldn’t use it, right?” He then played a clip of Spicer himself referring to the executive order as a “ban.”

“Okay but to be fair, that was Sean Spicer on Sunday,” Tapper said. “Surely he has not used the term since then, such as—I don’t know—last night when he spoke at George Washington University.“

The host then showed a video from last night, showing the White House press secretary clearly calling the executive order a “ban.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Okay, everybody clear now?” Tapper asked. “Nobody should follow the lead of the biased media and call the executive action a ban. Instead, follow the White House and call it a ban.”

Watch the clip below, via CNN:


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump blows up at Fox News reporter for asking him about disbanding pandemic team

Published

on

On Wednesday, President Donald Trump lost his temper at a coronavirus press briefing when Fox News correspondent John Roberts asked him about his administration disbanding the pandemic response team.

"We didn't do that. That turned out to be a false story," said Trump. (It is not a false story.) "Now you're starting to go — are you working for CNN?"

"I'm pointing out what they have said and what you have said, that's all," said Roberts.

"Fox isn't so easy either, don't kid yourself," whined Trump. "Look, John, let me tell you something. You know that's a false story. What you just said is a false story, this doctor knows it better than anybody ... you shouldn't be repeating a story that you know is false."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

More than 1 in 5 ventilators in federal government stockpile is holding for emergencies don’t work

Published

on

As the coronavirus is raging through the United States, President Donald Trump has begun releasing personal protective equipment from federal stockpiles as well as much-needed ventilators. Unfortunately, however, one in five ventilators from the government don't work.

The New York Times reported Wednesday that there are 10,000 ventilators that the government is holding back for the next wave of the emergency.

"But what federal officials have neglected to mention is that more than 2,000 of the lifesaving devices are unavailable after the contract to maintain the government’s stockpile lapsed late last summer, and a contracting dispute meant that a new firm did not begin its work until late January. By then, the coronavirus crisis was already underway."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Pro-Trump reporter banned from White House briefing room for ignoring social distancing guidelines

Published

on

On Wednesday, the White House Correspondents Association announced that it would be banning One America News Network reporter Chanel Rion from the press briefing room, after she repeatedly refused to follow social distancing guidelines imposed as a safety precaution against coronavirus.

The WHCA taking action after OANN staffer Chanel Rion repeatedly broke the agreed-upon rules --> https://t.co/8uTRLaVSbd

— Geoff Bennett (@GeoffRBennett) April 1, 2020

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image