United States soccer team captain Michael Bradley is “sad” and “embarrassed” by President Donald Trump’s executive order restricting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, he said on Instagram on Sunday.
Bradley spoke out after earlier taking a more diplomatic tone in an interview with a journalist, saying he felt compelled to be more forthright on the issue.
“I believe what I said but it was too soft,” he wrote. “The part I left out is how sad and embarrassed I am.
“When Trump was elected, I only hoped that the President Trump would be different from the campaigner Trump. That the xenophobic, misogynistic and narcissistic rhetoric would be replaced with a more humble and measured approach to leading our country.
“I was wrong. And the Muslim ban is just the latest example of someone who couldn’t be more out of touch with our country and the right way to move forward.”
Bradley posted his remarks hours before leading the United States in a friendly match against Serbia in San Diego.
New Jersey-born Bradley, 29, plays his club soccer for Toronto FC, which he joined in 2014 after almost a decade playing in Europe.
He is the first prominent American sportsman to harshly criticize President Trump’s new immigration policy, which has also been slammed by four-times Olympic champion runner Mo Farah, a British citizen who was born in Somalia and lives in the U.S.
President Trump on Friday put a 120-day hold on allowing refugees into the country, an indefinite ban on refugees from Syria and a 90-day bar on citizens from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
The announcement prompted the National Basketball Association to try to contact the State Department to clarify the situation.
Two NBA players, Thon Maker of the Milwaukee Bucks and Luol Deng of the Los Angeles Lakers, were born in Sudan.
(Reporting by Andrew Both in Cary, North Carolina; Editing by Mark Lamport-Stokes)
Trump slurs media as ‘fake and corrupt’ for disputing his claims about Elton John
President Donald Trump hyped his claims about selling out a New Hampshire rally in a new attack on the news media.
The president insisted Monday that he enjoyed "massive overflow crowds" at his rally last week at SNHU Arena in Manchester, and slurred journalists as "fake and corrupt" for reporting the venue wasn't filled to capacity.
The Fake and Corrupt Media is sooo bad for our Country, The Enemy of the People! https://t.co/GPiklem0u1
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 20, 2019
Trump’s presidency is backfiring as the public grows more and more opposed to his views: report
Watching clips from recent rallies in red states, it is obvious that President Donald Trump continues to be wildly popular among his hardcore far-right base. But that base is by no means representative of the United States on the whole. And journalist David A. Graham, in a report for The Atlantic, explains that not only is Trump failing to expand his base — he is, more and more, out of touch with public opinion.
“Recent polling shows that Donald Trump has managed to reshape American attitudes to a remarkable extent on a trio of his key issues: race, immigration and trade,” Graham observes. “There’s just one catch: the public is turning against Trump’s views.”
George Conway erupts on Trump lackeys who are smearing Scaramucci: ‘These people work for a rapist!’
Several anonymous Trump officials told the Washington Examiner this week that former White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci regularly abused staff members in the 11 short days in which he was employed by the president.
George Conway, the husband of Trump White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, lashed out on Tuesday at the Trump officials who anonymously attacked Scaramucci and accused them of overlooking President Donald Trump's own abusive behavior.