Quantcast
Connect with us

Catholic Sister shames ‘allegedly pro-life Republicans’ for Trumpcare’s brutal Medicaid cuts

Published

on

Republicans portray themselves as the “pro-life” party — but one Catholic Sister is calling that reputation into question in the wake of their proposed health care bill’s deep cuts to Medicaid.

Writing an op-ed for The Hill, Sister Simone Campbell excoriates Republicans for the content of their health care bill, which she says runs against everything an “allegedly pro-life” party should believe.

“I am outraged to see allegedly pro-life Republicans put forward a healthcare bill that will strip millions of people of their healthcare,” writes Campbell, who is the executive director of NETWORK Lobby for Catholic Social Justice. “Not only that, but this bill preys on the most vulnerable! This is antithetical to any faith. The House and Senate healthcare proposals are the antithesis of a pro-life stance and needs to be named as such. People will lose their lives if this bill becomes law.”

Among other things, Campbell notes that an estimated 45 percent of all births are financed by Medicaid in the United States, while also noting that Medicaid helps fund nursing home stays for seniors, “including many Catholic Sisters who have served their entire lives tending to the most vulnerable.”

She ends her editorial with a call to arms for anyone who considers themselves to be pro-life to rally against the GOP’s health care bill.

ADVERTISEMENT

“To be pro-life requires us to care about ALL of life, not just birth or death,” she writes. “Mothers and their infants need medical coverage. The disabled and the elderly need the promise that they can live in dignity for their entire natural life. This means that we must not cap individual or state expenditures for Medicaid or remove services from the defined benefits.”

Read the whole editorial at this link.

ADVERTISEMENT

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].

Send confidential news tips to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump’s racism isn’t a grand plan to win in 2020 — he’s just a ‘blithering idiot’: GOP strategist

Published

on

President Donald Trump over the last week has made overtly racist attacks on four Democratic women of color, which has led to speculation that the president believes using racism is the key to winning reelection in 2020.

However, Republican strategist Stuart Stevens, who is currently working for Trump primary challenger Bill Weld, says it would be a mistake to confuse Trump's bigoted impulses with a well thought out battle plan.

"There is always this need to attribute this master plan to Trump because otherwise, you have to come to terms with the fact that he’s a blithering idiot," Stevens said in an interview with the Huffington Post.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Here is why Nancy Pelosi allowed a House impeachment vote

Published

on

Admitting that he isn't privy to insider knowledge from the Democratic leadership, Bloomberg columnist Jonathan Bernstein suggested that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi may be playing a much longer game on the possibility of impeachment hearings on Donald Trump than her detractors believe.

Wondering, "Is Nancy Pelosi closer to impeachment?' Bernstein writes, "Usually, when a regular bill or resolution has been introduced, it’s then referred to committee. If the majority party doesn’t want to consider the bill, it will die with no further action. Under House rules, however, any member can force an impeachment resolution onto the floor as pending business. That’s what [Rep. Al] Green (D-TX) did Wednesday."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump falsely claims he stopped his supporters from chanting ‘Send her back!’

Published

on

On Wednesday night, President Donald Trump held a rally in Greenville, North Carolina, where he singled out Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN), accusing her and the other Democratic congresswomen known as "the Squad" of not loving America.

In response, the crowd began to shout "Send her back!"

Trump allowed the crowd to continue the chant for a full 12 seconds before continuing his speech.

The next day, amidst criticism that he was riling up his fans to dangerous levels, Trump claimed that he had indeed shut down the chant, in direct contradiction to the video. New York Times journalist Peter Baker reported Trump's claim on Twitter.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image