Quantcast
Connect with us

‘This is why they hired Megyn’: NBC bracing for ‘sh*t show’ over Alex Jones — but hoping for ‘buzz’

Published

on

Megyn Kelly (Fox News)

NBC is preparing to endure a “sh*t show” of backlash over Megyn Kelly’s upcoming interview with conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, but some network sources understand that’s the cost of trying to attract “buzz.”

Network insiders are voicing their discontent with the decision to offer a platform to Jones, the InfoWars host and Sandy Hook “truther,” and some of them want Kelly’s second program since jumping over from Fox News to be called off before it airs, reported The Daily Beast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jones has moved toward the political mainstream since the election of President Donald Trump, whose campaign he endorsed and whom he has interviewed, but he’s best known for promoting anti-government conspiracy theories about the 9/11 terrorist attacks, chemtrails and the massacre of 20 children and six adults in Newtown, Connecticut.

“Sandy Hook is a synthetic, completely fake with actors, in my view, manufactured,” Jones has said on his radio show. “I couldn’t believe it at first. I knew they had actors there, clearly, but I thought they killed some real kids. And it just shows how bold they are, that they clearly used actors.”

Kelly was dropped as host of a fundraiser gala for the gun violence prevention group Sandy Hook Promise, which is scheduled for Wednesday — four days before her interview with Jones is scheduled to air.

The broadcast has also lost JPMorgan Chase as an advertiser, and the network is holding crisis management meetings to brace for sustained backlash after the interview airs.

“It’s a sh*t show,” one insider told Page Six. “No one wants to withstand a whole week of criticism over this. There are a number of people who want to pull the interview.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Another source said the network was caught off guard by JPMorgan Chase’s decision to pull ads until after the Jones interview, but NBC executives knew what they were getting when they gave Kelly a $15 million contract.

“No one expected sponsors to pull out, but this is why they hired Megyn,” the source said. “They expect to lose and gain viewers, and they want the buzz.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

There were several glaring omissions in the FBI’s bizarre announcement about election interference

Published

on

Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe and FBI Director Christopher Wray announced on Wednesday in a last-minute press briefing that both Iran and Russia have obtained voter registration information and have "taken specific actions to influence public opinion."

In particular, Ratcliffe said that Iran has been found to have sent "spoofed emails designed to intimidate voters, incite social unrest, and damage President Trump." He seemed to be referring to an incident described in a Washington Post story published right before the conference, which said the U.S. has concluded that Iran had sent emails pretending to be from the right-wing group the Proud Boys to Democratic voters.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Termination of this top Pentagon official reveals another disturbing pattern in the Trump administration

Published

on

Warren Whitlock enjoyed a remarkable career as a diversity officer at the federal Transportation Department, winning victories for poor communities of color that his superiors thought impossible. There’s even a documentary film about his success in getting municipal bus service for a Black neighborhood in Beavercreek, Ohio, that had been intentionally bypassed.

In its waning days of the Obama era, the Army chose Whitlock to become one of its highest-ranking Black civilians. His task: resolve diversity issues that had languished for years, some since George Herbert Walker Bush was commander-in-chief nearly three decades ago.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Expert: Trump’s ‘forward-leaning posture’ and ‘body tics’ are cause for serious concern

Published

on

A professor of Neurology at George Washington University says he believes there may be legitimate concerns over President Donald J. Trump's "forward-listing posture" that goes beyond the comical memes and gif responses normally shared on social media.

"I know something about political figures and observable signs of illness from afar," Richard E. Cytowic M.D. wrote in Psychology Today. "... The American public deserves an accurate account of our president’s health."

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE