Quantcast
Connect with us

Wall Street banker turned Treasury Secretary requested a government plane for his honeymoon: report

Published

on

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin requested the use of a government jet for his honeymoon with Louise Linton earlier this summer, prompting the Treasure Department’s Office of Inspector General to launch in “inquiry” into the demand, ABC News reports.

Officials described Mnuchin’s request for a U.S. Air Force jt as as “highly unusual,” and was not approved by the Treasury department.

“You don’t need a giant rulebook of government requirements to just say yourself, ‘This is common sense, it’s wrong,'” Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) told ABC. “That’s just slap your forehead stuff.”

In a statement, a spokesman for the Treasury Department claimed the request was made out of concern Mnuchin would need “access to secure communications” during his trip.

“The Secretary is a member of the National Security Council and has responsibility for the Office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence,” the spokesman said. “It is imperative that he have access to secure communications, and it is our practice to consider a wide range of options to ensure he has these capabilities during his travel, including the possible use of military aircraft.”

On Sept. 1, it was reported Mnuchin is being investigated for taking a government plane to view the solar eclipse in its totality last month. The Washington Post reported Treasury Department Inspector General counsel Rich Delma is “reviewing the circumstances of the Secretary’s August 21 flight… to determine whether all applicable travel, ethics, and appropriation laws and policies were observed.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Mncuhin is an independently wealthy Wall Street banker. On the same day as Mnuchin’s flight to the eclipse’s path of totality, his wife, Linton, stirred controversy after tagging an Instagram post with the social media accounts of the expensive brands she donned in the photo. After catching flak for her tone-death post, Linton dug her designer heels in further, berating a woman who called her out.

“Did you think this was a personal trip?! Adorable!” Linton wrote. “Do you think the US govt paid for our honeymoon or personal travel?! Lololol. Have you given more to the economy than me and my husband? Either as an individual earner in taxes OR in self sacrifice to your country I’m pretty sure we paid more taxes toward our day ‘trip’ than you did.”

Lifestyles of the rich and famous.

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Teen brutally attacks Hispanic mother after she got him suspended by school for racist abuse of her son

Published

on

A student at New Jersey school has been accused of brutally beating a Hispanic mother after she complained about her son being subjected to racist abuse.

NJ.com reports that 35-year-old Beronica Ruiz, whose son attends the Passaic Gifted and Talented Academy School No. 20 in Passaic, New Jersey, went to complain to administrators after her son had been subjected to bigoted taunts and threats of violence from other students.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

E. Jean Carroll’s rape allegations against Trump exposed a depressing fact about the American public — according to this conservative

Published

on

This week, former advice columnist E. Jean Carroll published explosive allegations that President Donald Trump had raped her in a department store in the 1990s. In response, the President tweeted that she was "not his type" and that he'd never met her.

As the Democratic debates begin, media commenters wondered why a credible accusation of rape against a sitting President is not enough to permanently sink his chances at re-election, with some blaming the media for moving on too fast.

Writing in the conservative publication The Bulwark, Jonathan V. Last notes that the media did its job. And that it's the US public that lacks the moral compass to ditch the president, despite multiple allegations of sexual assault.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump lashes out at US women’s soccer player for refusing to visit the White House

Published

on

President Donald Trump lashed out at a U.S. women's national soccer team who has publicly criticized him.

Team co-captain Megan Rapinoe, who joined former NFL player Colin Kaepernick's kneeling protest during the National Anthem, strongly denied that she would accept the president's invitation to visit the White House if her squad wins the Women’s World Cup now underway.

“I’m not going to the f*cking White House,” Rapinoe told Eight by Eight Magazine, saying she doubted Trump would risk inviting them. “We’re not gonna be invited. I doubt it.”

Trump has canceled visits by other championship teams, such as this year’s Philadelphia Eagles, after most of the players vowed to decline the invitation.

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

The 2020 election needs you. There are 18 months until the election, and the Supreme Court is on the line. I'm trying to add journalists to do more exclusive reports. Let me get rid of the ads for you, and put your support toward 100% progressive reporting. Want to ensure your voice is heard? Join me and restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

HELP TAKE BACK AMERICA
close-link