Quantcast
Connect with us

Former head of British Secret Intelligence Service says Trump-Russia dossier ‘probably’ credible

Published

on

The infamous dossier that alleges collusion between Donald Trump’s presidential campaign an the Russian government is “probably” credible, the former head of the British Secret Intelligence Service (M16) said Tuesday.

Speaking with BBC’s Newsnight, Sir Richard Dearlove said of the dossier, which was compiled by former M16 officer Christopher Steele, “I think that there is probably some credibility to the content.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“I wouldn’t put it any more forcefully than that,” Dearlove added.

The dossier, dismissed by Trump as “fake news,” contains allegations the Kremlin has “been cultivating, supporting and assisting Trump for at least 5 years,” and has sufficient blackmail against the president—including evidence of salacious sexual acts with “a number of prostitutes” in Russia. It also claims members of the Trump campaign had multiple contacts with Russian operatives during the election.

During the presidential transition, former FBI Director James Comey briefed then-president-elect Trump on a two-page synopsis of the dossier. In June, Comey declined to answer questions about the dossier during testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee, telling members he couldn’t discuss the allegations in an “open setting.” Steele, the author of the memo has said he believes the dossier is 70 to 90 percent accurate.

While U.S. intelligence services work to verify or disprove elements of the Trump dossier, the veracity of it’s claims are playing a pivotal role in Washington D.C. federal court case. BuzzFeed, which published the dossier in January, is fighting a libel suit from a Russian internet entrepreneur named by Steele as one of the people involved in hacking the DNC. As part of its defense, BuzzFeed last month filed a motion to compel the FBI and two other federal agencies to comply with subpoenas regarding the agencies’ verification of the dossier.

Several other new organizations have filed Freedom of Informational Act requests about the dossier.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Protesters give Donald Trump a one-finger salute as Marine One flies over DC protests

Published

on

President Donald Trump returned to Washington, DC on Saturday as large crowds of protesters fill the city's streets.

Trump had flown to Florida to see the launch of the SpaceX Starship and returned as the sun was going down.

BuzzFeed News reporter Ellie Hall captured a picture of Marine One approaching the White House -- and being welcomed back to town with raised middle fingers.

Trump, in Marine One, just did a flyover of the protest area outside the White House.

Protesters flipped off the president’s helicopter.#dcprotest #MAGANIGHT #GeorgeFloydProtests pic.twitter.com/EMgCaOof1J

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump announces he has unilaterally decided to let Putin back into the G7 Summit: report

Published

on

President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that he intends to let Russia attend the next Group of Seven summit.

Since 2014, Russia's membership in the organization has been suspending in response to Vladimir Putin's annexation of Crimea. That changed the name from the G8 Summit to the G7 Summit.

The announcement came from pool reporter Gabby Orr of Politico, who said Trump will also invite South Korea, Australia and India to the next summit, which he is postponing until September.

More via pooler: “‘I don’t feel that as a G7 it properly represents what’s going on in the world. It’s a very outdated group of countries,’ he said. Alyssa Farah said this is bringing together our traditional allies to talk about how to deal with the future of China.”

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Seattle mayor imposes emergency curfew — set to begin only 14 minutes after her announcement

Published

on

The mayor of Seattle announced on Twitter that she would be signing an executive order imposing a curfew.

"I will soon be signing an emergency order and the city of Seattle will be imposing a 5 pm curfew soon," Durkin tweeted at 4:46 p.m. -- only 14 minutes before the order was set to go into effect.

"Crowds need to disburse from downtown immediately," she ordered.

"While many individuals gathered peaceful, some individuals have started fires and are destroying buildings. There are multiple fires downtown and it is an extremely dangerous situation. @Seattelfire (sic) does not have access to buildings," she continued.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image