Quantcast
Connect with us

Oliver North urging White House to build private spy army overseen by Betsy DeVos’ brother: reports

Published

on

The Trump administration is considering a scheme by a cast of shady characters to build a private network of spies to bypass U.S. intelligence services.

Blackwater founder Erik Prince and retired CIA officer John Maguire developed the plan, which was pitched to the administration by Iran-Contra figure Oliver North, reported The Intercept.

Sources told the website the plan would give the White House a way to counter “deep state” political enemies in the intelligence community and give the CIA director an army of spies with no official cover in countries such as North Korea and Iran, which are considered “denied areas” for American covert operations.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Intercept report builds on reporting last week by Buzzfeed News.

The White House has also considered setting up a global rendition force to capture terrorist suspects around the world, and also establishing propaganda campaigns in the Middle East and Europe to combat Islamic extremism and Iran.

“(CIA Director Mike) Pompeo can’t trust the CIA bureaucracy, so we need to create this thing that reports just directly to him,” a former senior U.S. intelligence official with firsthand knowledge of the proposals told The Intercept. “It is a direct-action arm, totally off the books. The whole point is this is supposed to report to the president and Pompeo directly.”

Prince, the brother of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, won hundreds of millions of dollars in contracts for his private security company Blackwater in Afghanistan and Iraq, where his guards were convicted in a massacre at Baghdad’s Nisour Square.

He testified behind closed doors before the House Intelligence Committee about his January trip to the Seychelles to meet with Mohammad bin Zayed, the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, and a Russian fund manager close to Vladimir Putin, while serving as an unofficial envoy to the Trump transition team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Maguire, a former CIA case officer and intelligence contractor for the Amyntor Group, reportedly led a U.S. effort to provoke Saddam Hussein into war before the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and he worked alongside the late Iran-Contra figure Duane “Dewey” Clarridge.

They enlisted North, a key figure in the Iran-Contra scandal and a frequent Fox News guest, to pitch the plan to Trump and other White House officials.

A spokesman for the National Security Council said there’s no evidence that the scheme was presented to the NSC or White House, but a current U.S. intelligence official told The Intercept the proposal was presented to White House officials and delivered to the CIA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sources told the website that several senior administration officials, including Vice President Mike Pence, had been briefed on the plan — although his spokesperson denied it.

Two former senior intelligence officials said Pompeo, who is rumored to be moved over to Secretary of State and replaced by Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR), embraced the plan and lobbied the White House to approve the contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

But a CIA spokesperson said The Intercept had been “provided wildly inaccurate information by people peddling an agenda.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

WATCH: Franklin Graham tells Jeanine Pirro coronavirus pandemic is because of people sinning

Published

on

Franklin Graham blamed sinners for the COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic during a Saturday night appearance on Fox News.

Host Jeanine Pirro noted the growing death toll and wondered how God could let that happen.

"Well, I don't think it's God's plan for this to happen," Graham said.

"It's because of the sin that's in the world, judge," he argued.

"Man has turned his back on God, we have sinned against him, and we need to ask for God's forgiveness and that's what Easter's all about," he continued.

"This pandemic, this is the result of a fallen world that has turned its back on God," he added.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Drought causing water shortage amid coronavirus crisis in Chile

Published

on

With historically low river flows and reservoirs running dry due to drought, people in central Chile have found themselves particularly vulnerable to the coronavirus pandemic.

Years of resource exploitation and lax legislation have allowed most reservoirs in that part of the country to run dry.

"There are now 400,000 families, nearly 1.5 million people approximately, whose supply of 50 liters of water a day depends on tankers," Rodrigo Mundaca, spokesman for the Movement for the Defense of Water, the Earth and the Protection of the Environment, told AFP.

One of the main pieces of advice to protect people against coronavirus is to wash your hands regularly.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump warns of ‘tough week’ ahead — after the United States surpassed 300,000 coronavirus victims

Published

on

US President Donald Trump warned Americans on Saturday to brace for a "very horrendous" number of coronavirus deaths in the coming days as the total number of global fatalities from the pandemic soared past 60,000.

As confirmed COVID-19 cases in the United States surpassed 300,000 with more than 8,300 deaths, there was some encouraging news in Italy and Spain.

Europe continues to bear the brunt of the epidemic, however, accounting for over 45,000 of the worldwide deaths, and Britain reported a new daily high in fatalities.

There are now more than 1.17 million confirmed coronavirus cases around the world and there have been 63,437 deaths since the virus emerged in China late last year.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image