Passengers waiting to board a plane last week in Boston were ordered to delete cell phone videos of the incident after the Toronto-bound flight was canceled.
Travelers were frustrated by the explanations from Porter Airlines employees about the two-hour delay Friday evening and took out their phones to record video, reported Global News.
“There was a problem with the latch door to the luggage compartment and when it passed 10 o’clock apparently the crew couldn’t fly anymore because … in their words, they would turn into pumpkins,” said Kira Wegler, who was returning to Toronto from a Florida vacation with her family.
The public address system wasn’t working in the gate area, and passengers had to line up for individual updates from airline employees.
The flight was eventually canceled, and Porter employees threatened to call police if passengers did offer proof they had deleted videos of the delay.
“They were going to have us arrested,” Wegler said.
Many passengers complied with the order, which one woman described as “very aggressive,” but Wegler kept some evidence and shared the videos with Global News.
The Massachusetts Port Authority has no prohibitions against filming inside Logan International Airport, according to a spokeswoman.
A spokesman for the airlines blamed the threats on a “misunderstanding” by an employee who believed the airport banned videos beyond the security checkpoint.
“While the request to stop filming or delete footage was incorrect, the intention was only to try and enforce what was believed to be an airport policy,” said Porter spokesman Brad Cicero.
Passengers said airline employees were unnecessarily confrontational with compliant travelers, and some said they’d never fly Porter again.
“Appalling,” said first-time Porter passenger Rick Howard. “To me, in a free society, you should be able to videotape in a public place.”
Passengers remained in Boston for three days, until they could be booked Monday afternoon on a Porter flight to Toronto.