Budget Director Mick Mulvaney revealed on Wednesday that a military parade requested by President Donald Trump could cost as much as $30 million — enough to fund food stamps for over 20,000 people each year.
At a House budget hearing on Wednesday, Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) noted that Trump’s proposed budget cuts funds for some of the most vulnerable Americans.
“This budget is really shameful,” Lee explained. “It dismantles our basic living standards that Americans have turned to for decades and pushes millions of people into poverty. It will destroy people’s lives.”
Lee reminded Mulvaney that his budget cuts $213 billion from the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, commonly known as food stamps. In addition, the budget slashes billions from disability, rental assistance, adult employment and training programs, education, Medicaid, and the minority AIDS program.
“It’s hard to imagine how you could be proud of this budget,” she said to Mulvaney. “Since these cuts are to pay for the tax cuts for the wealthy billionaires, millionaires and corporations. It’s clear to me that you don’t care about paying down the debt or the deficit because this budget really shows what this tax scam was all about.”
Lee went on to ask Mulvaney about Trump’s proposed military parade.
“I’ve seen various different cost estimates,” Mulvaney replied. “Between $10 million and $30 million depending on the size of the parade, the scope of it, the length, those types of things.”
“Obviously, an hour parade is different than a five hour parade in terms of cost,” he added.
As for the budget, Mulvaney argued that it would not push people into poverty because he expected those people those people to find jobs.
“We see the best welfare program as a job,” Mulvaney opined. “And we see the economy as a way to push people out of poverty, allowing them to lift themselves out of poverty.”
Lee noted that she had been a SNAP recipient at an earlier time in her life.
“Because I needed that bridge over troubled waters,” she explained. “It wasn’t permanent. It was just so I could get through what I was going through.”
“It’s a way that you are trying to make sure people that are low income, that we don’t believe that they have the dignity they deserve,” Lee added. “The way you are trying to put SNAP into a box now. And I think it’s a shame and disgrace that you’re treating low income families in this manner.”
According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, the cost of a $30 million parade would be enough to fund food stamps for nearly 24,000 people for a year.
Watch the video clip below.
Trump Tower is ‘under siege’ as Chicago Police make arrests to defend the president’s building
Protesters marched on Trump Tower in Chicago on Saturday, as Chicago police in riot gear and on horses defend the president's building.
State police were deployed to the scene to back up local police, who are reportedly arresting protesters.
On video showed protesters taking a knee in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick.
Actor John Cusack was among those documenting the protest.
Here are some of the images from the scene:
George Floyd’s brother tears up discussing condolence phone call from Trump: ‘It hurt me’
The brother of George Floyd described the condolence phone call he received from President Donald Trump during a Saturday interview on MSNBC.
Philonise Floyd was interviewed by the Rev. Al Sharpton on "Politics Nation."
While Derek Chauvin has been arrested and charged with third degree murder, the other three officers involved in the killing remain free.
"They all need to be convicted of first degree murder and given the death penalty," Floyd said.
"What was the conversation with President Trump like?" Sharpton asked.
"It was so fast," Floyd replied.
"He didn't give me an opportunity to even speak. It was hard, I was trying to talk to him, but he just kept like pushing me off, like 'I don't want to hear what you're talking about.' And I just told him I want justice. I said that I couldn't believe they committed a modern-day lynching in broad daylight."
Bill Barr slammed by ex-FBI official for ignoring the right-wing ‘Boogaloo Bois’ infiltrating protests
Attorney General Bill Barr was slammed by the former assistant director for counterintelligence at the Federal Bureau of Investigation on Saturday for misleading Americans about the source of violence at the protests over the killing of George Floyd while in police custody.
"There's evidence developing, Brian, that the organization we're seeing of the most violent protesters is coming from a couple of disturbing places," both, by the way, there's disparate in terms in being from the right or the left. here's what those who monitor these groups and sites are seeing.
"We're seeing a far-right group, one group for example known as the Boogaloo Bois, who on their private Facebook page and social media outlets are calling for violence, calling for people to show up," Frank Figliuzzi told MSNBC's Brian Williams.