Jessica Corbett, the ex-wife of a former White House speechwriter who resigned last week after she came forward with allegations of abuse, slammed Donald Trump on Tuesday after he complained accused abusers don’t get “due process.”
“I got no due process,” Corbett, who was married to former White House aide David Sorensen told NBC News.
Sorensen, who reported to White House aide Stephen Miller, resigned last Friday after Corbett claimed he was emotionally and physically abusive during their marriage. White House officials, already embroiled in a scandal involving former Trump aide Rob Porter, said they “immediately confronted” Sorensen and accepted his resignation.
Despite the administration’s assurances that the Trump White House has a zero tolerance policy for abusers, the president on Friday took to Twitter to lament “false” allegations, asking, “is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?”
But, according to Corbett, Sorensen is not the one whose “due process” was violated. “He got due process when I answered the FBI agents truthfully,” she explained.
Corbett also detailed the extent of her abuse at Sorenson’s hand, telling NBC News, “he has thrown me into a wall, he has put a cigarette out on my hand.”
“He made me drive around for hours, wondering where I would go, with no money, to beg people for cash so I could go home,” she added. “He cut my credit card off, drained my bank account, told me I would be homeless.”
She said the FBI’s first question to her was, “why did you and David get a divorce?”
“Because he was abusive,” Corbett said. “And I escaped and survived.”
Despite the abuse, Corbett insists he “wasn’t out to get” her ex-husband.
“People accuse me of trying to bring a good man down, but all I did was tell the truth,” she said. “I wasn’t out to get him, I was not trying to get him denied this job by telling the truth. I do very much believe he is one of the best and most capable people at what he does professionally.”
Watch a clip below, via NBC: