Quantcast
Connect with us

‘How the hell was still he employed?’ GOP Rep. Trey Gowdy scalds White House over Rob Porter scandal

Published

on

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) unloaded on the Trump White House’s handling of the Rob Porter scandal during a CNN interview on Wednesday — and he said he was disturbed by “almost every aspect” of it.

During an interview with CNN’s Alisyn Camerota, Gowdy said he simply did not understand how Porter was allowed to keep his job at the White House for so long despite the fact that key members of the administration must have known about credible allegations of domestic abuse had been leveled against him.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I spent two decades believing women and children who alleged abuse, even sometimes when no one else did,” Gowdy said. “I have real questions about whether someone like this can be considered for employment, whether there’s a security clearance issue or not. So yeah, I’m troubled by almost every aspect of this.”

Camerota then pointed out to Gowdy that FBI Director Christopher Wray on Tuesday testified under oath that his agency had given the White House a complete report on Porter’s background months ago, and yet no one at the White House took action to remove him from his position. How, Camerota asked, could Porter have remained employed at the White House despite that?

“That’s a good question and I don’t know the answer,” said Gowdy. “If you knew it in 2017 and the bureau briefed them three times, then how in the hell was still he employed? The security clearance is a separate issue — it’s an important issue, but separate. How do you have any job if you have credible allegations of domestic abuse? Again, I am biased towards the victims. I spent two decades believing them. But you don’t have to be biased towards the victim to ask how in the hell did this happen?”

Watch the video below.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Watch Trump’s ’jaw-dropping’ interview with Axios on HBO

Published

on

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump ridiculed for his late-night ‘OPEN THE SCHOOLS’ rant: ‘Eat your Big Mac and shut up’

Published

on

President Donald Trump demanded local school boards reopen schools during a late night tweet sent after 11 p.m. on Monday.

"OPEN THE SCHOOLS!!!" Trump demanded, in all capital letters with three exclamation marks.

The president was harshly criticized for his tweet, here's some of what people were saying:

Dear Stupid,

You can't even get your own son's school to open.

They have refused.

The school where your son Barron is being educated refuses to open because it's not safe.

Now sit there, eat your Big Mac, and shut up.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Florida Democrats ask their own candidate to withdraw his candidacy after cocaine arrest: report

Published

on

Democrats in Florida are asking their own candidate to end his campaign for county commission after an arrest for DUI and cocaine.

"A Collier County commission candidate's arrest in East Naples this past weekend has prompted calls from his party to drop out of the race," the Naples Daily News reported Monday. "John Jenkins, 55, was booked into the Naples Jail Center Sunday morning and faces a felony charge of possession of cocaine, according to a Collier County Sheriff's Office arrest report. He was released later that day on $5,000 bond."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image