Quantcast
Connect with us

LIVE COVERAGE: At least 17 dead after mass shooting at Florida high school

Published

on

At least one person is dead and 20 injured after a shooter opened fire at a high school in Florida on Wednesday afternoon.

One person has died, a local fire chief told the Miami Herald. Florida Senator Bill Nelson (D) told Fox News there had been “many deaths.”

Authorities not confirmed the number of injuries or fatalities.

WTVJ reported that the shooter intentionally pulled the fire alarm at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, then opened fire on students.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We thought it was a drill,” one student told CBS News. “We already had one earlier this morning… and then we heard gunshots, some students thought it was not that serious.”

A SWAT team has responded to the incident. “Remain barricaded inside until police reach you,” police told students and faculty.

“My daughter, as of right now, she’s still trapped in a closet. She’s afraid to speak,” a parent told CBS News.

Margate Fire Rescue had deemed the shooting a mass casualty incident.

Police said a suspect is in custody. The suspect, who has not been named, is a male student and his social media activity indicates he is a member of “a number of gun groups,” according to Fox News.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He’s been a troubled kid, and he’s always had a certain amount of issues going on. He shot guns because he felt it gave him, I guess, an exhilarating feeling,” a student who knew the suspect told WSVN.

“I stayed clear of him most of the time. My time in alternate school, I did not want to be with him at all because I didn’t want to cause any conflict with him because of the impression he gave off.”

The suspect has been taken to a hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT

President Donald Trump tweeted: “My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting. No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school.”

Watch live video, courtesy of CBS Miami below:

ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE — 5:02 PM

The Broward County sheriff said the shooter is believed to be a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE — 5:56 PM

ABC News reports at least 15 people are dead after a mass shooting at a Florida high school on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE — 6:27 PM

As a press conference, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said 17 people have been confirmed dead after a mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Deutsche Bank busted in money-laundering scheme case

Published

on

Prosectors in Frankfurt have dropped their investigation into two Deutsche Bank employees who were accused of aiding tax evasion schemes in the Virgin Islands, due to "lack of suspicion." The institution has instead been fined for compliance lapses.

“With the closure of these proceedings it is clear that the prosecutors have not found any instances of criminal misconduct on the part of Deutsche Bank employees following the raid of our Frankfurt office in November 2018,” Deutsche Bank spokesman Joerg Eigendorf said in a statement.

“The investigation that has now been closed due to lack of sufficient suspicion had a heavy impact on Deutsche Bank last year,” he added. “It is true that the bank had weaknesses in its control environment in the past. We identified these weaknesses and we have addressed them in a disciplined manner.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

North Carolina towns forced to cancel Christmas celebrations over fear of violence from right wing extremist groups

Published

on

Two North Carolina towns are canceling their annual Christmas celebration parades "amid fears of violence due to Confederate groups’ participation in the events," The Daily Beast reports.

Citing a “potential for violence,” for the first time in over 70 years the town of Wake Forest, North Carolina says it will have no Christmas parade. Garner, NC, has also canceled its Christmas parade.

The Daily Beast cites "reports that Garner had plans to include a float sponsored by a chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans but said social-media posts led town officials to believe 'the event could be targeted for disruption.'"

Continue Reading
 

Commentary

Giuliani’s deceitful Ukraine business web should leave everyone speechless

Published

on

I am not making this up, so fasten your seatbelts belts. It is all downhill from here in the ever-stranger Trump universe.

Moving to the global front pages is a company called Fraud Guarantee. Its co-owners, Ukrainian and U.S. nationals, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, have held many meetings at the Washington, D.C. Trump Hotel with Rudy Giuliani, the former mayor of New York city and the real-life version of Alice in Wonderland’s Mad Hatter.

Continue Reading