Quantcast
Connect with us

China calls on US to ‘cease and desist’ from endangering trade relations

Published

on

Beijing forcefully denounced President Donald Trump’s decision Thursday to impose tariffs on billions of dollars in Chinese goods, accusing him of putting the two economies on course for a trade war.

“If a trade war were initiated by the US, China would fight to the end to defend its own legitimate interests with all necessary measures,” China’s embassy in Washington said in a statement.
“We urge the US to cease and desist,” the embassy said, warning that by endangering China-US trade relations Washington will “eventually end up hurting itself.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In the latest in a series of aggressive moves on trade, mostly targeting China, Trump authorized new sanctions on up to $60 billion of Chinese imports to retaliate against “theft” of American intellectual property.

The tariffs and the goods targeted will be identified in the coming weeks, but Trump said they could be as high as 25 percent – what he called a “reciprocal tax.”

The embassy’s statement was issued moments after markets closed on Wall Street but investors had already taken Trump’s move as a bad omen, with the benchmark Dow Jones Industrial Average falling more than 700 points amid fears of a tit-for-tat trade confrontation.

Washington accuses Beijing of forcing US companies to enter joint ventures and transfer technology and trade secrets to their Chinese partners. At the same time US companies are not able to license intellectual property in China.

ADVERTISEMENT

US officials also allege China has hacked US networks and conducted industrial espionage to steal intellectual property.

The embassy said China had shown “sincerity in making reasonable suggestions” and made “great efforts” to deal with the current trade imbalance with the United States.

The United States recorded a record $337.2 billion trade deficit with China last year, and Trump demanded it be reduced by $100 billion.

ADVERTISEMENT

For the second time in a month, events in Washington whipped anxiety that Trump’s “America First” confrontations with major trading partners were headed toward full-scale trade conflict.

But Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross suggested the new measures on intellectual property were in fact a way of bringing Beijing to the table, calling them “the prelude to a set of negotiations.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Progressives say GM’s decision to cut off employee health insurance ‘yet another reason why we need Medicare for All’

Published

on

General Motors' decision Tuesday to stop paying healthcare premiums for nearly 50,000 of the company's striking workers offered a powerful case for why Medicare for All is necessary to ensure stable and quality insurance as a right for everyone in the United States.

That was the argument advanced by single-payer supporters in the wake of GM's move, which union leaders and others quickly denounced as a cruel intimidation tactic designed to break the United Auto Workers strike.

Continue Reading

Facebook

New documents reveal the military has paid Trump’s Scotland resort more than $180,000

Published

on

Under President Donald Trump, the U.S. military has spent more than $180,000 at the Trump Turnberry resort in Scotland while service members have been stopped at the Glasgow Prestwick airport, according to a Pentagon letter sent to the House Oversight Committee.

Politico first reported on and published the letter on Wednesday.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Accused child molester Roy Moore defends Brett Kavanaugh: ‘I too was the object of false allegations’

Published

on

Accused child molester Roy Moore on Wednesday came to the defense of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who has been accused of sexual assault.

Moore's remarks came after The New York Times published accounts from a new book, which found that two of Kavanaugh's accusers were credible.

In a statement to the press, Moore defended Kavanaugh on Wednesday.

"I too was the subject of false allegations, but unlike Justice Kavanaugh and others who have suffered the ire of the left, I filed suit against my accusers and their conspirators," Moore said. "For over two years, I have not seen nor been able to question any of those who went on national television tol tell their false stories just 32 days before the election in December 2017, and ironically I have been sued for defamation for merely denying their false and malicious accusations."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image