Quantcast
Connect with us

Gary Cohn resigning as Trump’s economic adviser after losing fight over tariffs: report

Published

on

President Donald Trump’s chief economic adviser Gary Cohn has resigned Tuesday after unsuccessfully lobbying the president not to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum.

The New York Times reported Cohn’s resignation, which came weeks after Trump floated the idea of making the economic adviser his chief of staff amid tensions with Gen. John Kelly, the man currently in the position. Cohn’s resignation also came hours after the president lauded his White House, claiming “everyone” wanted to work there. This marks the third high-profile departure from the White House in the past month after the resignation of alleged domestic abuser Rob Porter and communications director and longtime Trump employee Hope Hicks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reports about Cohn mulling his resignation surfaced shortly after Trump’s surprise tariff announcement last week. The adviser also reportedly considered leaving the administration after the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia last August amid the backlash from the president claiming there were “very fine people” among the neo-Nazis and Klansmen gathered to defend a Confederate statue.

White House officials who alerted the Times to Cohn’s resignation insisted “there was no single factor” leading him to make the decision, but the report noted that it came on the heels of news that the economic adviser was dissatisfied with the president’s tariffs and the potential trade war they will catalyze. Earlier on Tuesday, CNBC reported that Trump suspected Cohn would resign over the tariffs.

In a statement, Trump called Cohn a “rare talent” and thanked him for his “dedicated service,” while Kelly said he would miss the former chief economic adviser.

“I am grateful to the president for giving me this opportunity and wish him and the administration great success in the future,” Cohn said in the joint statement with the president and chief of staff.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump Tower is ‘under siege’ as Chicago Police make arrests to defend the president’s building

Published

on

Protesters marched on Trump Tower in Chicago on Saturday, as Chicago police in riot gear and on horses defend the president's building.

State police were deployed to the scene to back up local police, who are reportedly arresting protesters.

On video showed protesters taking a knee in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick.

Actor John Cusack was among those documenting the protest.

Here are some of the images from the scene:

https://twitter.com/dmihalopoulos/status/1266849888555409408

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1266850390047408130

https://twitter.com/DirtyComoDiana/status/1266848376102039552

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

George Floyd’s brother tears up discussing condolence phone call from Trump: ‘It hurt me’

Published

on

The brother of George Floyd described the condolence phone call he received from President Donald Trump during a Saturday interview on MSNBC.

Philonise Floyd was interviewed by the Rev. Al Sharpton on "Politics Nation."

While Derek Chauvin has been arrested and charged with third degree murder, the other three officers involved in the killing remain free.

"They all need to be convicted of first degree murder and given the death penalty," Floyd said.

"What was the conversation with President Trump like?" Sharpton asked.

"It was so fast," Floyd replied.

"He didn't give me an opportunity to even speak. It was hard, I was trying to talk to him, but he just kept like pushing me off, like 'I don't want to hear what you're talking about.' And I just told him I want justice. I said that I couldn't believe they committed a modern-day lynching in broad daylight."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Bill Barr slammed by ex-FBI official for ignoring the right-wing ‘Boogaloo Bois’ infiltrating protests

Published

on

Attorney General Bill Barr was slammed by the former assistant director for counterintelligence at the Federal Bureau of Investigation on Saturday for misleading Americans about the source of violence at the protests over the killing of George Floyd while in police custody.

"There's evidence developing, Brian, that the organization we're seeing of the most violent protesters is coming from a couple of disturbing places," both, by the way, there's disparate in terms in being from the right or the left. here's what those who monitor these groups and sites are seeing.

"We're seeing a far-right group, one group for example known as the Boogaloo Bois, who on their private Facebook page and social media outlets are calling for violence, calling for people to show up," Frank Figliuzzi told MSNBC's Brian Williams.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image