Quantcast
Connect with us

Holocaust denier becomes Republican candidate for US Congress

Published

on

A Holocaust-denying white supremacist has become the Republican party nominee for a US Congressional seat representing portions of Chicago and neighboring suburbs.

Art Jones, an advocate of racial segregation whose campaign website includes a section called “The Holocaust Racket,” won an uncontested race for the GOP nomination during Illinois state’s primary election Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

He will now compete for the US House seat in a heavily Democratic district of the Midwestern state.

The Illinois Republican party had not recruited a challenger in the district, because a GOP candidate was unlikely to succeed in a general election matchup against the Democratic incumbent Dan Lipinski, who has held the seat since 2005.

The party also had condemned Jones’s candidacy and urged voters to disavow him.

“The Illinois Republican Party and our country have no place for Nazis like Arthur Jones. We strongly oppose his racist views and his candidacy for any public office,” the state party’s chairman Tim Schneider said in a February statement.

The controversial candidate secured approximately 20,000 votes Tuesday, according to Scott Kennedy, author of the website Illinois Election Data, which collected preliminary vote totals.

ADVERTISEMENT

By comparison, Lipinski received more than 47,000 votes for his party’s nomination.

Jones, a 70-year-old retired insurance agent, has unsuccessfully run for elected office since the 1970s, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

While he described himself as a former leader of the American Nazi Party, he insisted to CNN that he did not belong to any particular party.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I call myself an American patriot and statesman,” Jones told CNN in an interview.

When pressed, he admitted denying the Holocaust, calling it “nothing but an international extortion racket by the Jews.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Jones added that he only belongs to his own group, called the America First Committee, whose membership is open only to white people of non-Jewish descent.

He describes the United States’ foreign conflicts as “Jew Wars” on his website and is also opposed to people who are gay and bisexual.

The US far-right has seen something of a resurgence since President Donald Trump assumed office last year on a nativist “America First” platform.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump came under fire last August for failing to forcefully condemn a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, which resulted in clashes and the death of a counter-protester.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Andrew Cuomo threatens to bail on CNN interview when his brother shows vintage photo of governor in bellbottoms

Published

on

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) appeared to feign anger during a CNN interview Wednesday in which his brother, Christopher Cuomo, showed a vintage photo of their family with the elder brother clad in bellbottoms, a rhinestone belt and an unfortunate attempt at an afro.

The younger Cuomo is still suffering from the effects of coronavirus, appearing redfaced and wiping his brow. However, his brother noted that he seemed more animated than he has in days.

"Now I've seen you referred to a little bit recently as the 'Love Gov' and I'm wondering if that's making you a little soft on the president, that you don't want to really criticize him, because you need him and now's not a time for fighting," said the younger Cuomo. "But don't you have to balance that with calling him out if he's doing things that you don't think are great for the people of your state to be hearing and experiencing? Love Gov?"

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Fox News hosts are going back to downplaying threat from coronavirus: report

Published

on

Major Fox News personalities like Sean Hannity spent weeks assuring viewers that the novel coronavirus wasn't a serious threat. In recent weeks, however, they have shifted to a different narrative, acknowledging that the virus is dangerous but giving President Donald Trump credit for taking action and criticizing Democrats' lack of action — even though many Democrats, in fact, warned the pubic first.

But according to The Daily Beast, even as there is no clear end to the crisis in sight, and even as the U.S. crosses 13,000 deaths, many Fox News hosts are going back to downplaying the virus, either telling viewers it wasn't as bad as advertised and urging the president to end public safety measures against it.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

The dangers of Trump TV: MSNBC host hammers Fox News as ‘genuine public health threat’ amid pandemic

Published

on

Tuesday night, Fox News decided that all anyone needed to do is to pump Americans with a Malaria drug and send them back to work to save President Donald Trump's economy.

Speaking Wednesday night, MSNBC host Chris Hayes bashed the conservative network for downplaying the seriousness of coronavirus, saying that they are "a genuine public health threat."

While Trump has advisers like Dr. Anthony Fauci, he also has the unofficial advisers he sees on Fox News.

They "are coalescing around the idea the whole thing is just overblown and we need to pump everyone full of the malaria drug and get them back to work. This is what you heard if you watch trump tv just last night," Hayes said. He then played clips illustrating exactly that, with hosts ranting and raving about the virus not being as serious as the flu.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image