Quantcast
Connect with us

Starbucks apologizes to black men handcuffed and hustled out of Philadelphia location in viral video

Published

on

Starbucks Coffee apologized on Saturday for an incident at a Philadelphia location when two African American men were removed from the store by over a half dozen police.

On Thursday, video of the police action was posted on Twitter by Melissa DePino.

“The police were called because these men hadn’t ordered anything,” DePino reported. “They were waiting for a friend to show up, who did as they were taken out in handcuffs for doing nothing.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The racial implications of the arrest was apparent to the eyewitness.

“All the other white ppl are wondering why it’s never happened to us when we do the same thing,” DePino continued.

Both police and Starbucks are investigating.

“We are aware of an incident that occurred on 4-12-18 at the Starbucks Café at 18th and Spruce,” Philadelphia Police acknowledged. “The entire incident, including the actions of the responding officers, is under internal investigation.”

On Friday night, Starbucks also acknowledged the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We’re aware of the incident on Thursday in a Philadelphia store with 2 guests and law enforcement, resulting in their removal,” the company said. “We’re reviewing the incident with our partners, law enforcement and customers to determine what took place and led to this unfortunate result.”

By Saturday, Starbucks had investigated enough to apologize.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We apologize to the two individuals and our customers and are disappointed this led to an arrest,” Starbucks said. “We take these matters seriously and clearly have more workk to do when it comes to how we handle incidents in our stores.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are reviewing our policies and will continue to engage with the community and the police department to try to ensure these types of situations never happen in any of our stores,” Starbucks promised.

Watch video of the incident:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

White House grants press access to Christian site whose founder called impeachment a ‘Jew coup’

Published

on

The White House granted press credentials to a Christian news site whose founder claimed that President Donald Trump's impeachment was a "Jew coup" organized by a "Jewish cabal" in anti-Semitic remarks.

Five employees of the Florida-based conservative Christian news outlet TruNews received press credentials from the White House to cover Trump's trip to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, last week, founder Rick Wiles told The New York Times from a ski lodge reserved for press members by the Trump administration. The outlet was not granted special access to Trump, though TruNews' Edward Szall asked Ivanka Trump a question during a news conference, according to the report.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Laura Ingraham wants to remove Adam Schiff from Congress: ‘It’s not clear that congressmen can’t be impeached’

Published

on

Fox News host Laura Ingraham floated a novel legal theory on Monday in an attempt to remove Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) from Congress: that members of Congress can be impeached.

"It’s not clear that congressmen can’t be impeached, by the way," Laura Ingraham told Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA).

"It's not clear that they cannot be impeached," she repeated.

Ingraham was simply wrong on the facts, the constitution does not allow the impeachment of members of Congress.

The constitutional mechanism to remove a member of Congress before the end of their two-year term is for two-thirds of the body to vote to expel the member.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

50 million trapped after China sealed off cities as virus death toll surges

Published

on

The United States and other nations raced to get their citizens out of the locked-down Chinese city at ground-zero of a virus epidemic on Tuesday, as the death toll surged to 106 and the number of confirmed infections doubled to over 4,500.

The deadly virus, which experts believe emanated from a wild animal market in the city of Wuhan last month, has triggered a desperate Chinese containment effort after spreading nationwide and to more than a dozen other countries.

The government has sealed off Wuhan and other cities in central Hubei province, effectively trapping more than 50 million people, including thousands of foreigners, in a bid to contain the virus as the high-travel Lunar New Year holiday unfolds.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image