White Americans see the world very differently than black Americans, with only 46 percent of them seeing that the nation's institutions favor them and a certain percentage of the other 54 percent going on racist tirades about "black on black crime" and other such things.


White people need to worry about other white people, says Mike Males, a researcher for the Center for Juvenile and Criminal Justice. In a new op-ed for the Los Angeles Times, Males destroys this narrative.

"The more white and Republican a county is, the greater the risk for white Americans," he writes, using stats.

Males contrasts this with the narrative spun by Trump and his supporters, who suggest that immigrants and "inner cities" are dangerous.

"At a recent rally in Ohio, Trump used lurid language to claim that gang members 'slice and dice' beautiful girls like 'animals.' ... It's obvious to anyone who's listening that when Trump talks about this terrifying other he's really talking about non-white people, not just any old foreigner," Males writes. "These fears, however, are not founded in reality. White people should be more afraid of other whites than they are of people of color."

Males cites survey results that show Trump supporters tend to conflate their fears of immigrants and dark-skinned people. And then he uses stats from the Centers for Disease Control statistics that show the locations of murder, gun killings and illegal-drug overdoses among white Americans.

"According to the data, rates of homicides, gun killings and illicit-drug fatalities are highest in counties where nine in 10 residents are white and where President Trump won in the 2016 election," he writes. "Correspondingly, the white Americans who are safest from such deaths are those who live in racially diverse areas such as Los Angeles, New York and Chicago, where two-thirds of residents are nonwhite, where millions of immigrants live, and where voters favored Hillary Clinton in 2016. Nonwhites also are safer in these areas overall."

The correlation is not insignificant, he says.

"Overall, white Americans who live in predominantly white and Trump-voting counties are 50% more likely to die from murder, gun violence and drug overdoses than whites who live in the most diverse and Democratic-voting counties," Males writes.

Read the full piece here.